For Zymurgybob et al Scotch afficionados

    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 28 10:39 PM
      The Whisky Trails

      A traveller's guide to Scotch whisky

      Gordon Brown

      By Gordon Brown

      http://www.uisge.com/wt/index.html

    • subsonic40grain
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 29 4:20 PM
        Now that is very very nice reading tonight. Harry you provide
        knowledge, you can judge a man by his reading. Sumat like that, (I
        forget the quote). Lovely, nice, just relaxing, reading and a wee
        dram at the end of a hard day.

        There was me thinking Gordon Brown just taxed people.... ;-P

        His saving grace is the tradition of having a Whisk(e)y at the
        dispatches box. Pity he didn't have a few more, then again maybe he
        did?

        http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/business.cfm?id=323342004

        Oh, politics, yeah maybe not good ;-P

        So, ok. I did a run today and pulled 2.8 litres of 95.5%
        (temperature corrected) So I am resting on my laurels. Well
        chuffed. Took bl@@dy ages mind (like half a day). Sat it all
        (minus 1 litre) on carbon (just poured about 500g of nice 'proper'
        activated carbon into the demijohn (Gallon jar)) and kept back 1
        litre for Zymurgybobs Gin recipe. (Can't be bothered with all that
        filtering business, I just bung the carbon in at 43% and it works
        great.) Dunno about 500g It's just a baby tin I keep it in so it
        seems like a good volume....

        P.S. Trid - You are mad. Nice reading your posts mind - keep it
        up :-)

        Where was I, oh yes, I will sit the spare litre of 95% on the
        botanicals and ice wok it after. Then add that to the neutral. (I
        forget whether to sit the botanicals at 95% or 40% so guys, don't
        reply! - I will check my work server Monday as it has the full
        recipe.)

        If Bob is ok I will post the results of the 'Zymurgy Gin Run' as I
        have decided to call it. I have sampled Zymurgybobs and can claim
        FAME!!!!!

        Guys, Read it and weep - I have sampled... and he is a 'master'.

        Shame I have run out of his booze mind .... :-(

        Subsonic.

        > The Whisky Trails
        > A traveller's guide to Scotch whisky [Gordon Brown] By Gordon
        > Brown
        > http://www.uisge.com/wt/index.html
        <http://www.uisge.com/wt/index.html>

        > Slainte!
        >
        > regards Harry

      • Trid
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 30 12:20 AM
          --- subsonic40grain <subsonic40grain@...> wrote:

          > P.S. Trid - You are mad. Nice reading your posts mind - keep it
          > up :-)

          Very flattered, thank you :)

          Today's been long and ended with she-who-must-be-obeyed throwing me a surprise
          birffday party. I love excuses to share samples of my wares :) However, I
          think insomnia is definitely not going to be a problem tonight.

          Trid
        • subsonic40grain
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 30 5:12 AM
            Trid,

            Happy Birthday for yesterday I guess! Although here we haven't got
            to the 31st yet. Weird... Guess you are asleep now anyway :)

            Subsonic.

            > --- subsonic40grain <subsonic40grain@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > P.S. Trid - You are mad. Nice reading your posts mind - keep it
            > > up :-)
            >
            > Very flattered, thank you :)
            >
            > Today's been long and ended with she-who-must-be-obeyed throwing
            me a surprise
            > birffday party. I love excuses to share samples of my wares :)
            However, I
            > think insomnia is definitely not going to be a problem tonight.
            >
            > Trid

          • subsonic40grain
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 30 12:18 PM
              I forgot to mention, if you guys did not click on the link to Gordon
              (I am a politician and therefore the most boring person on earth)
              Brown - there are a lot of links from there to newsy items on Scotch
              and distilling in general. Interesting to see new distilleries are
              still opening and the market is growing. Other stuff on Flavoured
              vodkas etc.

              Subsonic.

              (Oh, mebbe I will get soood by Brown for that libellous post. Mmmm.
              But he is boring and we distillers are hyper cool.... So nah :)
            • Robert Hubble
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 2, 2006
                Comments inline

                Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

                >From: "subsonic40grain" <subsonic40grain@...>
                >To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
                >Subject: [Distillers] Re: For Zymurgybob et al Scotch afficionados
                >Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 23:20:48 -0000
                >
                >Now that is very very nice reading tonight. Harry you provide
                >knowledge, you can judge a man by his reading. Sumat like that, (I
                >forget the quote). Lovely, nice, just relaxing, reading and a wee
                >dram at the end of a hard day.
                >
                >There was me thinking Gordon Brown just taxed people.... ;-P
                >
                >His saving grace is the tradition of having a Whisk(e)y at the
                >dispatches box. Pity he didn't have a few more, then again maybe he
                >did?
                >
                >http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/business.cfm?id=323342004
                >
                >Oh, politics, yeah maybe not good ;-P
                >
                >So, ok. I did a run today and pulled 2.8 litres of 95.5%
                >(temperature corrected) So I am resting on my laurels. Well
                >chuffed. Took bl@@dy ages mind (like half a day). Sat it all
                >(minus 1 litre) on carbon (just poured about 500g of nice 'proper'
                >activated carbon into the demijohn (Gallon jar)) and kept back 1
                >litre for Zymurgybobs Gin recipe. (Can't be bothered with all that
                >filtering business, I just bung the carbon in at 43% and it works
                >great.) Dunno about 500g It's just a baby tin I keep it in so it
                >seems like a good volume....
                >
                >P.S. Trid - You are mad. Nice reading your posts mind - keep it
                >up :-)
                >
                >Where was I, oh yes, I will sit the spare litre of 95% on the
                >botanicals and ice wok it after. Then add that to the neutral. (I
                >forget whether to sit the botanicals at 95% or 40% so guys, don't
                >reply! - I will check my work server Monday as it has the full
                >recipe.)
                >
                >If Bob is ok I will post the results of the 'Zymurgy Gin Run' as I
                >have decided to call it. I have sampled Zymurgybobs and can claim
                >FAME!!!!!

                Subsonic,

                OK, hell! I'd be wildly flattered. Besides, I'm really interested in finding
                out how it went. And (blush, shuffle) thanks for the kind words. In truth, I
                AM getting good reports on the gin from my happy testers. While I'm proud of
                the gin, my success is due to Tony Ackland's essence still, Wal's "10 best"
                gin recipes, and Harry's (or was it Rob Thomas's) bicarbonate procedure for
                distilling low wines. My personal contribution is mostly being too lazy to
                find angelica root and getting confused on one of Wal's recipes.