ALCOHOL CALCULATIONS by Harry Lythall

  • Mel
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 4, 2000
      ALCOHOL CALCULATIONS by Harry Lythall
      This might be a usefull site, Hope all this Html stuff isn't screwing up your Email program, if so let me know and I will stop sending web pages and just send the link if I find any more of interest.

      Regards Mel

      ALCOHOL CALCULATIONS by Harry Lythall

      Here are a couple of usefull formulas for calculating alcoholic content (by volume) when brewing or distilling. They may not be 100% accurate due to other variables not considered, but probably within one per-cent, or so. The boiling point of Ethyl alcohol has been assumed as 78.8ºC at sea-level.

      Deciding Alcoholic Content of Mash

      This formula tells you the specific gravity and potential alcoholic content when a specific amount of sugar is added to 1-liter of water, then fermented. Note that every yeast has its own alcohol tolerance level which also limits the maximum alcohol yeald possible.

      Enter Sugar (grams)
      Value - Starting S.G.
      Value potential alcohol (%)

      Estimating Sugar Content

      Enter measured specific gravity x1000 (1.090 = 1090) to show the potential alcohol and quantity of sugar contained in one liter of mash.

      Enter SG (eg. 1.095 = 1095)
      Value potential alcohol (%)
      Value sugar quantity (gram/L)

      Measuring Alcoholic Content of Mash

      Measure the temperature of the boiling mash and enter it here. Note that the temperature is multiplied by 10 so 90 degrees centigrade is entered as 900. This calculator only provides a rough guide.

      Enter temp (ºC x10)
      Example:
      97.2ºC = 972
      Value % alcohol (approx)