RE: [Distillers] New Brewing Sugar

  • Tony & Elle Ackland
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 9, 2001
      Ian,

      > Nice touch treating the mash with carbon - but the distillation process
      > itself creates a chemical synergy that is best rectified with carbon -
      > or many years of aging.

      What chemical changes take place during distilling ?

      My understanding was that nothing changes, but that we are merely
      exploiting differences in the vapour pressures of each of the individual
      compounds, to concentrate them & colect them. The only exception would be
      things like sulphides reacting with copper & being removed ?

      The pracctice of adding carbon to the sugar would only be of benefit to
      those people trying to make a clean neutral spirit, not those wanting to
      keep some flavours.

      Tony