Re: [Distillers] watts vs btus, gas vs electricity

  • Dave Nay
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 7, 2006
      Actually, you are on the right track. Almost always, heat sources are
      incorrectly rated in simple BTU, when in reality the number listed is
      BTU per hour. Since 1 watt is approx 3.4 BTU/hr, the number you are
      looking for is 17,584.2642 watts.

      See the following links for more information.

      http://www.google.com/search?q=60000+btu%2Fhr+in+watts
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BTU
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watt
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_%28physics%29
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy

      Careful reading of the linked articles will help you to understand the
      relationship between energy and power, as well as where and how time
      fits into that relationship.

      Dave

      !Zapata Vive! wrote:
      > I'm working on a new stilling setup, and am trying to understand how
      > to relate gas burners to electric elements. Specifically I'm trying
      > to decide how a 60,000 btu gas burner would work compared to say a
      > 1500 watt heating element. The only thing is, all the conversions
      > I've found online require the element of time for the watts, but not
      > the btus. Is this right? I don't really know, but it doesn't seem
      > right. That would make a simple gas burner the equivalent to a
      > 14,000 watt element?
    • miciofelice2003
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 7, 2006
        Hi, Zapata.

        1 BTU = 0.252 Cal

        1 Kw = 860 Cal/h

        Ciao a tutti

        micio felice

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, !Zapata Vive! <zapatavive@...>
        wrote:

        > I'm working on a new stilling setup, and am trying to understand
        how
        > to relate gas burners to electric elements. Specifically I'm
        trying
        > to decide how a 60,000 btu gas burner would work compared to say
        > 1500 watt heating element. The only thing is, all the
        conversions
        > I've found online require the element of time for the watts, but
        not
        > the btus. Is this right? I don't really know, but it doesn't
        seem
        > right. That would make a simple gas burner the equivalent to a
        > 14,000 watt element?
        >
        > Or have I screwed it up somehow? It seems if that calculation is
        > right, then I'd worry about being able to turn the gas burner
        down
        > low enough to actually be able to use it.
        >
        > Any of ya'll drive on propane instead of electricity? Any
        insight?
        > I've driven a couple of stills on electricity before, but gas is
        > appealing for my current situation. I have a buddy that drives
        his
        > glorified pot still on propane, but he's not much of a thinker,
        he
        > just fills the pot and gets drunk while it runs all day. I can't
        get
        > much lucid insight out of him other than, "I dunno man, I just
        light
        > it up, and taste it till it's ready to cut, by the time I make
        my
        > cuts, I'm so drunk I'm lucky if I'm still standin' when it's
        > done." (thank goodness his wife always turns the still off when
        he
        > does pass out!)
        >
        > Thanks

      • Link D'Antoni
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 7, 2006
          Zapata,

          I run on propane. As my stove is electric and
          cycles on and off. Talk about a nightmare!
          I, too, had you quandry.
          I run pot and reflux units. To answer you question,
          I knew about how long it took to get to the IBP
          (Initial Boiling Point) When converting to propane, I
          start off slow and worked up to the valve adjustment
          that works. I marked my valve at two locations, the
          heat up stage and the run stage. btw, my pin valve
          works better as it is better controled and more
          percise for setting to a mark as opposed to the valve
          that requires several turns then hitting a mark. Keep
          your eye on the temp gauge and flame.
          During the heat up stage I can see the flame rounding
          the bottom of the pot. When my top of column temps
          reaches 150ish F, I cut the flame waaaaay back to
          almost a pilot light and slowly bring up from there.
          It did take some practice. But Practice Makes
          Perfect.

          Hope this helps,

          Link

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • !Zapata Vive!
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 7, 2006
            Thanks to all. Thanks to the info, I've figured it all out, and
            basically concluded that nearly any gas burner will provide more than
            enough power for my stilling needs.

            I'll just need to make a few runs to get used to having all that
            control.

            Just one more question. How much gas do you run through? I know it
            depends on your boiler size and whatnot, I'm just wondering if I need
            to have several tanks on hand or what. I'm assuming that I'll need
            at least 2 standard BBQ tanks so I can fully empty a partial tank and
            still have a fresh tank to finish on. It would be helpful to know
            for example, "for my x size boiler, I use 10 pounds of propane for a
            1.5 hour boil up and a 12 hour distillation."

            Thanks again.

          • Larry
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 7, 2006
              At 11:03 AM 07/07/2006, you wrote:
              > I'm just wondering if I need to have several tanks on hand or what. I'm
              > assuming that I'll need at least 2 standard BBQ tanks so I can fully
              > empty a partial tank and
              >still have a fresh tank to finish on.

              Visit www.u-haul.com click on "propane & grilling", then "Buy propane
              supplies online".

              Check out the "Propane Gauge and Leak Detector" for $19.95.

              http://store.uhaul.com/product_detail.aspx?id=3023

            • greg tufts
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 8, 2006
                I get at least four runs a bbq tank, and keep 2
                tanks.
                cheers

                http://mail.yahoo.com