Re: I.H. Question

  • mampoer_boer
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 6, 2006
      Just shorten your condensor and suck on your still
      Ha I have it all sorted ;-)

      Mampoer Boer

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Bugal <bwyze44@...> wrote:

      > In "ye olde days", the argument of ABV and proof was a serious
      discussion in England.

      > They settled on the "proof" basis in that if rum leaked from the
      barrels and wetted the gun powder (rum was stored with the gunpowder
      under lock and key), the gunpowder would still fire. There was a
      narrow range of proof that allowed this to happen and it would be
      tested by wetting gunpowder with rum to ensure it burned. If it did,
      the rum was "proof" that it was in the legal range.

      > No doubt those sailors working below decks on rum ships had their
      own experiences with "proof".

      > Bwyze
      >
      > donald holcombe <blackledge_02@...> wrote:
      > Ive read accounts of sailors on the old Rum Ships becomig
      intoxicated by spending time in the hold of a ship in the Tropics. I
      also have come under the influance while painting with laquer sealers
      in a laundry room to seal smoke damage before painting. Ethanol is the
      thinner. The effect seemed quite prfound upon going into the fresh air. ?