Re: [Distillers] I.H. Question

  • Andrew Bugal
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 3, 2006
      In "ye olde days", the argument of ABV and proof was a serious discussion in England.

      They settled on the "proof" basis in that if rum leaked from the barrels and wetted the gun powder (rum was stored with the gunpowder under lock and key), the gunpowder would still fire. There was a narrow range of proof that allowed this to happen and it would be tested by wetting gunpowder with rum to ensure it burned. If it did, the rum was "proof" that it was in the legal range.

      No doubt those sailors working below decks on rum ships had their own experiences with "proof".

      Bwyze

      donald holcombe <blackledge_02@...> wrote:
      Ive read accounts of sailors on the old Rum Ships becomig intoxicated by spending time in the hold of a ship in the Tropics. I also have come under the influance while painting with laquer sealers in a laundry room to seal smoke damage before painting. Ethanol is the thinner. The effect seemed quite prfound upon going into the fresh air. ?

      Ian Kent <kegscruiser@...> wrote: Some time ago it was a bit of a hit in London.

      Ian...

      On 7/4/06, Larry <larry@...> wrote:

      > instructors mentioned that a small amount of alcohol heated in a
      > >sealed flask and then inhaled would theoritecaly cause intoxication,
      > >bypass the liver, and be the healthiest way to ingest ETOH.

    • Link D'Antoni
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 4, 2006
        Try this site...
        Alcohol Machine... yes, its inhaled.

        http://www.awolmachine.com/page-2.htm

        No, I have not tried it.

        Link

        --- Larry <larry@...> wrote:

        > >One of our instructors mentioned that a small
        > amount of alcohol heated in a
        > >sealed flask and then inhaled would theoritecaly
        > cause intoxication,
        > >bypass the liver, and be the healthiest way to
        > ingest ETOH.
        >
        > It was all over the TV news in Texas about a year
        > ago... Apparently clubs
        > were opening in some other state which specialized
        > in this form of alcohol
        > intake, and there was some question about them
        > serving minors, or about
        > what would happen legally, if they started serving
        > minors.
        >
        > Since it didn't involve consuming alcohol, in the
        > conventional sense, storm
        > clouds were coming up about whether these bars could
        > bypass existing liquor
        > laws, they way they were written.
        >
        > I assume it worked, or it wouldn't have made news on
        > a national level.
        >
        > I've never heard another peep about it since then,
        > though, so there must be
        > a reason that every bar in Texas isn't boosting
        > their sales with Inhaling
        > Masks on hoses by now.

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • mampoer_boer
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 6, 2006
          Just shorten your condensor and suck on your still
          Ha I have it all sorted ;-)

          Mampoer Boer