Re: Pasteurazation Question

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2006
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, donald holcombe
      <blackledge_02@...> wrote:

      > I got 4 gallons from Harris Teeter working right Now. The fifth
      gallon is for flavoring.

      > suitcase1499 <suitcase1499@...> wrote: HI Guys, A friend
      of my dad's gave me a case of apple juice 12 one half
      > gallon bottles and it has beeen pasteurized will it still ferment
      out
      > ok ??? Thanks for any help.
      >
      > Suitcase Jr.

      Years ago I did something similar. I had a source of apple cider
      (not apple juice) from a local orchard. I found that I had to boil
      it or I'd get funky ferments - probably wild yeasts?

      I'd hard boil 10 gallons of cider for 20 minutes, then add enough
      sugar to bump the SG to around 1.09.

      I had a devil of a time making head / heart cut - it was hard for me
      to find the point between foul tasting heads and apple-ish heads.
      After that, the run was a conventional no baking soda run (neutral
      heart/middle with a slow temp raise, followed by a shart temp
      transition into tails.

      I used "black label" yeast. If I were to try this again, I think
      I'd cut the ISG back to 1.050 and use a fruit wine yeast.

      Mark