Sealing the Churn

  • anthonyathawes
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 1 12:43 AM
      I'm near to completing a "World Class Still" and wait only the arrival
      of the copper mesh for the re-flux version. (Why it's called the WCS I
      don't know, it seems rather immodest, but then, we must wait and see!).

      My question is how to seal down the lid on the 5 gal. S/S British milk
      churn. I've considered soldering tabs onto its side and bolting down.
      Another method may be simply to drill down through the lid perifery
      and use either self tappers or small bolts. It may not be practicable
      to use a cork gasket. It might be possible to to split a length of
      garden hose and fit it round the edge with the bolts going through it?
      After all, there's not much, if any, pressure.

      I'm asking advice on this as not I'm not really happy with the
      prospects of either method. (Observing the forum - if I can understand
      the spelling and grammar - it seems members ask questions when a
      couple of comparative experiments would decide the issue..... Does
      that seem just a bit critical?!

      Anthony

      PS. Having mentioned spelling, I thought I'd better run a spell check
      myself. It doen't come up under "Tools".......this may explain a lot!
    • Andrew Bugal
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 1 5:04 AM
        Anthony,

        What is your objective here?

        Is it to keep the steam from escaping before it gets to the column? Is the lid a loose fit currently?

        You would probably do more damage by drilling holes in the churn.

        The idea of a cut garden or rubber hose sounds good. Cut it lengthwise and put it around the top of the churn. Pressing the lid down firmly should stop steam from escaping and allow you to take the lid off easily.

        The idea of a cork gasket is sound with beer kegs or churns in reasonably good shape. I have a cork gasket but also use a rubber strip around the cut-out in the beer keg (my boiler) to stop steam escaping.

        Best regards,

        Bwyze

        anthonyathawes <anthony.athawes@...> wrote:
[...]

      • Anthony Athawes
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 1 5:47 AM
          Many thanks for this idea. Geoff Burrows has already suggested Aquarium
          Silicon that he's used very effectively.

          But why I really want to bolt the WCS to the churn is that the lid is not a
          taper fit, and lies flat with a good deal of play and I want to avoid the
          risk of the whole caboodle tipping over.

          On another topic, what does "Slainte" mean when one is signing off?

          Tony
        • Link D'Antoni
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 1 12:52 PM
            Anthony,

            I can not answer the tech question but the 'Spell
            Check' is IN Yahoo. Look at the top of the mail that
            you are writing... The 'SEND' line.. right of that is
            'Save as a Draft', right of taht is 'Spell Check'...
            Unless, of course, you are left handed.

            Link

            wrote:

            > I'm near to completing a "World Class Still" and
            > wait only the arrival
            > of the copper mesh for the re-flux version. (Why
            > it's called the WCS I
            > don't know, it seems rather immodest, but then, we
            > must wait and see!).
            >
            > My question is how to seal down the lid on the 5
            > gal. S/S British milk
            > churn. I've considered soldering tabs onto its side
            > and bolting down.
            > Another method may be simply to drill down through
            > the lid perifery
            > and use either self tappers or small bolts. It may
            > not be practicable
            > to use a cork gasket. It might be possible to to
            > split a length of
            > garden hose and fit it round the edge with the bolts
            > going through it?
            > After all, there's not much, if any, pressure.
            >
            > I'm asking advice on this as not I'm not really
            > happy with the
            > prospects of either method. (Observing the forum -
            > if I can understand
            > the spelling and grammar - it seems members ask
            > questions when a
            > couple of comparative experiments would decide the
            > issue..... Does
            > that seem just a bit critical?!
            >
            > Anthony
            >
            > PS. Having mentioned spelling, I thought I'd better
            > run a spell check
            > myself. It doen't come up under "Tools".......this
            > may explain a lot!

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • donald holcombe

                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 2 1:30 AM
                  D'Antoni, I'll have another look. No, I'm not left handed!

                  Just had a look at the "Send" line. There isn't anything about saving a
                  draft, paperclip, Adress Book, yes. Perhaps it will show up when I send the
                  next observations to the Group via Yahoo. The current medium is in ".Word".

                  Tony