RE: [Distillers] Re: Flame colour

  • Anthony Athawes
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 30, 2006
      I got a bottle of country-made Calvados in France last month for 7 Euros. I
      haven't had the timidity to try it yet since I would like to have seen the
      Frenchman demonstrate his trust - but I never met him. Tonight, as the cork
      had raised itself 1/4" above the neck, I thought I thought I'd give it the
      flame test in a teaspoon. It seemed to take a little time to get going but
      really there was a flame and it burned almost invisibly. There was a
      slightly pink tinge at the top, and the flame seemed gradually to extinguish
      itself. Yes, I did take a sip! It seemed much above 40%ABV. I'd appreciate
      any of the members views as I still remain cautious - even to the extent of
      redistilling it when I get my plant working.

      Tony