Re: Real Thirsty??? (Response)

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 29, 2006
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "burrows206" <geoff@...> wrote:
      > Hi Harry and Dean,
      > Thanks you've just confirmed my own ideas as to what I
      > was happening. ( I was remembering some of the previous posts you
      > wrote on a similar alcohol/water topic a while back) I gotta' say
      > like my spirits.
      > My left hemiplegics stroke, lack of coordination during the
      > following physiotherapy, not working and not being able to afford
      > decent stuff (bad hangovers) where the main reason I quit drinking
      > a couple of years.
      > I find a well coordinated, controlled fall from my wheel
      > into the bed works fine. Well I do what I gotta' do to enjoy
      > these days. I thought making the still was good occupational
      > therapy. Well they, the Occupational Department, did tell me to
      get a
      > hobby.
      > Thanks Harry and Dean, good to get the feed back confirmation
      > the drinking of the water trick
      > Geoff

      Hi Geoff,
      Good to see you haven't lost your sense of humour. :-)
      I 'dips me lid' to you. If you can build a still & produce good
      drinkable spirits under your physical restrictions, then you deserve
      a medal. Cheers!

      May I suggest something? Have you thought about teaching others
      with your affliction to get involved in distilling as a therapy? As
      you're aware, there's an endless number of offshoots and disciplines
      in spirit production. Metallurgy, chemistry, physics, electrics &
      electronics, woodworking, draftsmanship, brewing and many others too
      numerous to mention. Who knows? Maybe it will be a vocation you
      can really enjoy! I'm sure there could be some funding also if you
      talk to the right people.

      Smedley et al did a study that supports this idea. I've reproduced
      it below, to save you searching for it. The copyright allows

      Give it some thought.

      regards Harry

      I have a vested interest in people with special motor skills &
      learning needs. I have an 8yo Son Kevin with Aspergers Syndrome.

      S #17
      Enjoyable activities may be more effective than traditional motor
      function exercises in improving stroke clients' physical ability and
      psychosocial well-being
      Smedley, R. R., Smedley, W. P., Aronica, M. J., Fiorino, A. J.,
      Soucar, E., & Reynolds, D. (1986).

      Slot machines: Their use in rehabilitation after stroke. Archives of
      Physical Medicine and
      Rehabilitation, 67, 546–549.
      Level IIB3b
      Nonrandomized comparison of two or more groups or treatments in a
      quasi-experiment without randomization to
      group, condition, or sequence; 20 or more participants per condition
      or group; low internal validity; moderate external

      Why research this topic?
      Traditional exercises to improve motor skills often are monotonous
      and boring. A novel, entertaining, and purposeful
      activity might offer clients more motivation to continue therapy,
      which might result in greater therapeutic benefit.

      What did the researchers do?
      Smedley and colleagues (1986), variously of Temple University
      (Philadelphia), of Allied Services for the Handicapped
      (Scranton, Pennsylvania), and in private practice investigated the
      effects of operating an adapted slot machine on
      stroke clients' motor function and psychological well-being.

      In the study, the researchers adapted slot machines to operate with
      ordinary washers instead of coins and to allow
      graded resistive exercises that accomplished the same muscle-
      strengthening goals as traditional therapeutic devices.
      The experimental group operated the machines as therapy. Both the
      experimental and the control group performed
      the tasks and the activities commonly used by therapists to improve
      sensorimotor (see Glossary) functioning,
      involving guided motion and devices such as pulleys, peg boards, and
      shoulder bars.

      The participants were 50 inpatients (gender not reported) from two
      rehabilitation hospitals, who ranged in age from
      40 to 84 years. Inpatients from one hospital constituted the
      experimental group, inpatients from the other hospital the
      control group. The two hospitals were identical in size, staff,
      policies, and procedures. Occupational therapists delivered
      the interventions.

      The researchers were interested in two outcome areas: physical
      ability (as indicated by range of motion, muscle
      strength, and gross and fine motor coordination); and psychosocial
      well-being (how the participants were faring psychologically
      and socially, as measured by the Beck Depression Inventory).

      What did the researchers find?
      The experimental group improved significantly (see Glossary) more
      than the control group on both measures.

      What do the findings mean?
      For therapists and other providers, the findings suggest that a
      novel and entertaining intervention like operating slot
      machines may be more effective than traditional motor function
      exercises in improving stroke clients' physical ability
      and psychosocial well-being.

      What are the study's limitations?
      First, the process used to select the participants may have
      influenced the results. That is, the experimental group
      came from one facility, the control group from the other. These
      groups would—at the least—have different histories.

      "History is a threat [to internal validity] when an observed effect
      might be due to an event (or events) which takes
      place between the pretest and the posttest when this event is not
      the treatment of research interest" (Cook &
      Campbell, 1979, p. 51).

      Second, the experimental group received greater amounts of therapy
      than the control group.

      Third, the therapists who delivered the interventions may have known
      the study's hypothesis and unintentionally
      influenced the results.

      Fourth, the participants probably were still in the acute stage of
      their stroke, a time when spontaneous recovery
      occurs with or without therapy. This phenomenon could have accounted
      for the improvement seen in 90% of all the

      Cook, T. D., & Campbell, D. T. (1979). Quasi-experimentation: Design
      and analysis issues for field settings. Boston:
      Houghton Mifflin.

      sensorimotor—"of, relating to, or functioning in both sensory and
      motor aspects of bodily activity" (Merriam
      Webster's Collegiate Dictionary, 10th ed., p. 1066)

      significance (or significant)—A statistical term, this refers to the
      probability that the results obtained in the study
      are not due to chance, but to some other factor (such as the
      treatment of interest). A significant result is one that is
      likely to be generalizable to populations outside the study.
      Significance should not be confused with clinical effect. A study
      can be statistically significant without having a very
      large clinical effect on the sample. For example, a study that
      examines the effect of a treatment on a client's ability to
      walk, may report that the participants in the treatment group were
      able to walk significantly longer distances than the
      control. However, if you read the study you may find that the
      treatment group was able to walk , on average, six feet,
      while the control group was able to walk, on average, five feet.
      While the outcome may be statistically significant, a
      clinician may not feel that a one foot increase will make his or her
      client functional.

      Copyright 2003 American Occupational Therapy Association, Inc. All
      rights reserved.
      This material may be reproduced and distributed without prior
      written consent.