Orange overload

  • Strounge
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 7, 2001
      Just finished preparing a bottle fo so far unsweetened citrus spirit.
      I used 750ml 95%ethanol to which I added the peel of three jaffa oranges, the peel half a lime a quarter of
      a lemon. I tried using a zester to collect the peel but it bursts too many of the oil glands so I opted a sharp knife and a care not to get any pith in.

      The whole lot was soaked for two weeks by which time the peel had gone white and the spirit a bright orange, I diltued the whole lot down by adding an equal volume of water an put the murky orange liquid into the pot still on very low heat.
      The first 10ml was unusable - cloudy white with large droplets of oil floating on the top - made a good bath oil though.

      the rest came through nice and clear and extremely pungent on the citrus, I stopped collecting when the flavour started to taste a bit 'cooked' ( try squeezing a bit of orange peel onto a flame ). In the end I had 850ml spirit, density 0.861g per ml which is
      about 72% ABV. So far I haven't added the syrup - that's tonights job. Cautious experiments show that I can dilute it to 48% with water but no further before the oil starts coming out of solution. It also tastes great in mageritas providing the sugar is upped a bit. It's a lot more zesty than triple sec.

      Question - I haven't tried sugaring any of it yet, is addition of sugar syrup rather than water going to cause me problems with the oil again?

      Strounge with a smashing jaffa orangey bit.