Advocaat (advokaat) - the avocado connection

  • waljaco@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 6, 2001
      Alcohol is suitable to emulsify and preserve creamy ingredients.
      Advocaat, a Dutch speciality, is an alcoholic egg yolk emulsion. In
      Germany it is known as 'eierlikor' or 'eiercognac'. Dave Broom in
      'Spirits & cocktails' says this about its origins:
      "Its original incarnation was as a planter's drink in Holland's
      Brazilian enclaves, where the fruit of the abacate tree would be
      fermented and drunk. When the planters returned home they found that
      abacate trees were distinctly thin on the ground and, warping the
      original name to advocaat, decided to use eggs instead."
      'Abacate' is portugese for avocado, in French it's 'avocat'.
      I could not find any reference to fermenting avocadoes, and it does
      not seem to me to be a suitable fruit (being high in oil) to ferment.
      In Brazil, avocadoes are popular as a dessert though, and there is a
      recipe for 'creme de abacate' (avocado cream). The main product of
      the former Dutch colony of Suriname was sugar cane, and I can imagine
      that white rum could have been added to an avocado cream to make a
      local specialty. Perhaps our Dutch distillers could help here. In the
      Philippines you see avocado ice cream and avocado milkshake, so the
      idea is not that weird.
      Although there are recipes for Advocaat that have milk, condensed
      milk or cream, the original only uses egg yolks. 'Warninks' is a
      popular Dutch brand. For those who do not have a cholesterol problem
      here is a recipe from a Dutch site,
      (http://www.uoguelph.ca/~antoon/recipes/adh.htm):

      Advocaat
      10 egg yolks
      2 pkts. vanilla sugar (or 2 tsp. extract, or 1 stick of vanilla)
      250 g. (1 cup) sugar
      500 ml. (2 cups) brandy or gin 40%abv
      250 ml. (1 cup) water
      Beat egg yolks and sugar, add diluted gin and vanilla.
      It would be advisable to add lecithin as an emulsifier, otherwise you
      need to keep shaking the bottle all the time. About 5 grams (1 tsp.)
      should be sufficient.

      For those who have a cholesterol problem or do not like eggs, we
      could attempt to resurrect the original avocado version. Avocadoes
      oxidise (turn brown) easily, so acid needs to be added. Ascorbic
      acid, is a good anti-oxidant, and could be added additionally. Try
      this as an alcoholic version of 'creme de abacate':

      Creme d'avocat (Avocado cream liqueur)
      3 large ripe avocadoes (yellow inside)
      juice of 1 lime (or lemon)
      250 g. sugar (1 cup)
      500 ml. (2 cups) white rum
      250 ml. (1 cup) water
      5 g. (1 tsp. lecithin)
      Blend avocado pulp, sugar and lime juice and lecithin. Blend in
      diluted white rum. It should be absolutely smooth and creamy. Vanilla
      is not normally added to 'creme de abacate'.

      Wal