Re: [Distillers] % change

  • Ian
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 5, 2001
      Glenn, It pays to double check your spirit after the first cut especially if you are doing it by alcometer reading only.
      I do mine with a temp/alcohol conversion chart and because the chart only goes to 90% I make it a practice to recheck it after it has been on the carbon. I have come across a couple of mistakes in the past so it's a good practice.
      Pilch.
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 6, 2001
        Ian,

        If you have an alcohol-temperature conversion chart that goes up to
        90%, please post it here or at least let me know where I can score
        one. Waiting for a distillate to cool in the fridge is a pain. I
        would love to be able to get an immediate reading after doing a
        stripping run, rather than waiting for my vodka to cool to 60F.

        Regards,
        Scott

        --- In Distillers@y..., "Ian" <pilch@t...> wrote:
        > Glenn, It pays to double check your spirit after the first cut
        especially if you are doing it by alcometer reading only.
        > I do mine with a temp/alcohol conversion chart and because the
        chart only goes to 90% I make it a practice to recheck it after it
        has been on the carbon. I have come across a couple of mistakes in
        the past so it's a good practice.
        > Pilch.

        Service.
      • Tony & Elle Ackland
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 6, 2001
          The instructions which came with my hydrometer advise the following corrections to the final specific gravity reading ...

          Temperature Correction (g/mL)
          10 ?C -0.002
          15 ?C -0.001
          20 ?C none
          25 ?C +0.001
          30 ?C +0.003
          35 ?C +0.004

          Unfortunately it doesnt get up into the realm of the 50/60/70C stuff.

          I personally use the vapour temperature (while distilling) as the guide - see the attached graph.

          Tony