Re: Toasted Oak Chips

  • goyeast@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 3, 2001
      It sounds like you've made a light or medium toasted oak. Both are
      fine. I've used virgin American oak, light-toast American oak and
      medium-toast French oak with good results. I've also charred Madrone
      chips with good results. With the addition of those whiskey barrel
      staves, you should get decent results. You might look into charring
      the surfaces a few oak chips with a propane torch. This adds some
      different flavors, and the carbon will remove some impurities.

      Scott

      --- In Distillers@y..., Dick <dick@l...> wrote:
      > Hi all,
      > Can someone tell me what colour toasted oak chippings
      should be
      > ? Following the instructions in an earlier posting I roasted some
      dry oak
      > chippings (tightly wrapped in Al foil) @ 230 deg F for about 20
      mins, the end
      > result smelt great but was, if anything, only slightly darker than
      when I
      > started. I'm getting my hands on some ex-whisky barrel staves from
      a local
      > bottling plant and just have to find a use for