Hector's Chocolate Liqueur or ("Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster")

  • burrows206
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 6, 2006
      Hi waljaco,
      I quite like the idea of chocolate liqueur and would like to try
      your recipe but what the hell is 0.5g xanthan gum (or similar
      thickening agent). It might be common to most of you guys, but not
      here in the UK. I aint got the slightest idea what it is. Is it one
      of the ingredients of a "Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster" or what?

      Geoff
    • Link D'Antoni
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 6, 2006
        Geoff,

        Try Glycerin. You can get it at your pharmacy.

        Link :-)

        --- burrows206 <geoff@...> wrote:

        > Hi waljaco,
        > I quite like the idea of chocolate liqueur and
        > would like to try
        > your recipe but what the hell is 0.5g xanthan gum
        > (or similar
        > thickening agent). It might be common to most of
        > you guys, but not
        > here in the UK. I aint got the slightest idea what
        > it is. Is it one
        > of the ingredients of a "Pan Galactic Gargle
        > Blaster" or what?
        >
        > Geoff

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Link D'Antoni
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 6, 2006
          Goeff,
          Me again...

          btw, The reference is to 0.5 grams of xanthan gum...

          And with permission I would like to use your "Pan
          Galactic Gargle Blaster" to name one of my batches.
          With my wines, I number the batch. With spirits I
          alphabetize and give names representing the alphabet,
          i.e. 'D' is 'Desire St' (after street in New Orleans),
          'H' is 'Preparation H'. I am working toward 'GG'.

          Link

          --- burrows206 <geoff@...> wrote:

          > Hi waljaco,
          > I quite like the idea of chocolate liqueur and
          > would like to try
          > your recipe but what the hell is 0.5g xanthan gum
          > (or similar
          > thickening agent). It might be common to most of
          > you guys, but not
          > here in the UK. I aint got the slightest idea what
          > it is. Is it one
          > of the ingredients of a "Pan Galactic Gargle
          > Blaster" or what?
          >
          > Geoff

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • richardt2005
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 6, 2006
            Wow, didn't know THAT question would set off such a kerfuffle

            1) Xanthan Gum is available on the web.
            http://www.papanature.com/store/ProductDetails.aspx?c=Herbs&pid=NOW-
            06199

            or (amazingly)

            http://www.xanthan-gum.net/

            2) I hope you know the origions of the Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster...
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan_Galactic_Gargle_Blaster

            3) Thanks to everyone for the multiple recipies for chocolate
            liquor. I will try several of them. If anyone has tried a WHITE
            chocolte liquor, please let me know.

            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Link D'Antoni <link2d@...> wrote:

            > Goeff,
            > Me again...
            >
            > btw, The reference is to 0.5 grams of xanthan gum...
            >
            > And with permission I would like to use your "Pan
            > Galactic Gargle Blaster" to name one of my batches.
            > With my wines, I number the batch. With spirits I
            > alphabetize and give names representing the alphabet,
            > i.e. 'D' is 'Desire St' (after street in New Orleans),
            > 'H' is 'Preparation H'. I am working toward 'GG'.
            >
            > Link
            >
            > --- burrows206 <geoff@...> wrote:
            >
            > > Hi waljaco,
            > > I quite like the idea of chocolate liqueur and
            > > would like to try
            > > your recipe but what the hell is 0.5g xanthan gum
            > > (or similar
            > > thickening agent). It might be common to most of
            > > you guys, but not
            > > here in the UK. I aint got the slightest idea what
            > > it is. Is it one
            > > of the ingredients of a "Pan Galactic Gargle
            > > Blaster" or what?
            > >
            > > Geoff

            > http://mail.yahoo.com

          • Link D'Antoni
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 6, 2006
              I did not know the origin of the
              Pan_Galactic_Gargle_Blaster. I followed the link (no
              pun intended).
              After reading the instructions to making the
              'Blaster', I think that I've make something close to
              that. I need to add the olive next time!

              Link

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Robert Hubble
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 6, 2006
                Geoff,

                Xanthan gum is God's own water-based epoxy. It's available in better grocery
                stores, at least in the US. I bought a bag of it once so my wife could make
                some goofy synthetic bread. The checker swiped the bag across the glass top
                of the barcode scanner and the leaky bag dribbled a bit of the powder onto
                the glass.

                Being MIss Efficiency, the checker whipped out a spray bottle and a rag, to
                clean up the mess. When the water hit that stuff, it turned into some sort
                of super adhesive that pulled the rag out of the checker's hand, and left
                the glass covered with a miracle adhesive, and everything she did appeared
                to make it worse.

                We may STILL have what's left of that bag, somewhere.

                If you buy some, be warned.

                Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 7, 2006
                  You should find a synthetic gum thickener in a Health Food Store -
                  vegetarians who do not use egg white use it as a substitute in cooking.
                  wal

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 7, 2006
                    There is already enough "mouth-feel" without the glycerin. The gum
                    also helps to keep the ingredients in suspension. Gum arabic is a
                    natural source, and is (or was) used to make super sweet sugar syrups.
                    wal
                    --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Link D'Antoni <link2d@...> wrote:

                    > Geoff,
                    >
                    > Try Glycerin. You can get it at your pharmacy.
                    >
                    > Link :-)
                    >
                    > --- burrows206 <geoff@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > Hi waljaco,
                    > > I quite like the idea of chocolate liqueur and
                    > > would like to try
                    > > your recipe but what the hell is 0.5g xanthan gum
                    > > (or similar
                    > > thickening agent). It might be common to most of
                    > > you guys, but not
                    > > here in the UK. I aint got the slightest idea what
                    > > it is. Is it one
                    > > of the ingredients of a "Pan Galactic Gargle
                    > > Blaster" or what?
                    > >
                    > > Geoff

                    > http://mail.yahoo.com

                  • Glenn Bell
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 7, 2006
                      how about a simple change of subject from someone who has a friend who has a
                      friend who operates a simple pot still.....this f of f ran a batch that had
                      not completely settled out and still had some yeast floating in the
                      wash...the mash was a simple corn ,barley and sugar mash...the output was a
                      little cloudy rather than clear...the question (s) is could this have caused
                      it..?? would rerunning it fix it,...is there any potential for harming my
                      oops...my f of f's next batch if it is just dumped in it and
                      rerun...thanks..

                      > Xanthan gum is God's own water-based epoxy. It's available in better
                      > grocery
                      > stores, at least in the US. I bought a bag of it once so my wife could
                      > make
                      > some goofy synthetic bread. The checker swiped the bag across the glass
                      > top
                      > of the barcode scanner and the leaky bag dribbled a bit of the powder onto
                      > the glass.
                      >
                      > Being MIss Efficiency, the checker whipped out a spray bottle and a rag,
                      > clean up the mess. When the water hit that stuff, it turned into some
                      > sort
                      > of super adhesive that pulled the rag out of the checker's hand, and left
                      > the glass covered with a miracle adhesive, and everything she did appeared
                      > to make it worse.
                      >
                      > We may STILL have what's left of that bag, somewhere.
                      >
                      > If you buy some, be warned.
                      >
                      > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller
                      >

                      >>From: "burrows206" <geoff@...>
                      >>To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
                      >>Subject: [Distillers] Hector's Chocolate Liqueur or ("Pan Galactic Gargle
                      >>Blaster")
                      >>Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2006 19:14:52 -0000
                      >>
                      >>Hi waljaco,
                      >> I quite like the idea of chocolate liqueur and would like to try
                      >>your recipe but what the hell is 0.5g xanthan gum (or similar
                      >>thickening agent). It might be common to most of you guys, but not
                      >>here in the UK. I aint got the slightest idea what it is. Is it one
                      >>of the ingredients of a "Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster" or what?
                      >>
                      >>Geoff

                      >> FAQ and other information at http://homedistiller.org
                      >>Yahoo! Groups Links

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Cary Rhodes
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 7, 2006
                        Glenn

                        I'm betting HE has just got some tails in the product. Just chase
                        it thru a carbon filter a couple times and I bet it will clear up.

                        I doubt the yeast issue would carry over thru the condensor.

                        JMHO

                        cary

                        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Glenn Bell" <glennbell@...>
                        wrote:

                        > how about a simple change of subject from someone who has a friend
                        who has a
                        > friend who operates a simple pot still.....this f of f ran a batch
                        that had
                        > not completely settled out and still had some yeast floating in
                        the
                        > wash...the mash was a simple corn ,barley and sugar mash...the
                        output was a
                        > little cloudy rather than clear...the question (s) is could this
                        have caused
                        > it..?? would rerunning it fix it,...is there any potential for
                        harming my
                        > oops...my f of f's next batch if it is just dumped in it and
                        > rerun...thanks..

                        Galactic
                        > Gargle Blaster")
                        >

                        > > Geoff,
                        > >
                        > > Xanthan gum is God's own water-based epoxy. It's available in
                        better
                        > > grocery
                        > > stores, at least in the US. I bought a bag of it once so my
                        wife could
                        > > make
                        > > some goofy synthetic bread. The checker swiped the bag across
                        the glass
                        > > top
                        > > of the barcode scanner and the leaky bag dribbled a bit of the
                        powder onto
                        > > the glass.
                        > >
                        > > Being MIss Efficiency, the checker whipped out a spray bottle
                        and a rag,
                        > > clean up the mess. When the water hit that stuff, it turned
                        into some
                        > > sort
                        > > of super adhesive that pulled the rag out of the checker's hand,
                        and left
                        > > the glass covered with a miracle adhesive, and everything she
                        did appeared
                        > > to make it worse.
                        > >
                        > > We may STILL have what's left of that bag, somewhere.
                        > >
                        > > If you buy some, be warned.
                        > >
                        > > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller
                        > >

                        > >>From: "burrows206" <geoff@...>
                        > >>To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
                        > >>Subject: [Distillers] Hector's Chocolate Liqueur or ("Pan
                        Galactic Gargle
                        > >>Blaster")
                        > >>Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2006 19:14:52 -0000
                        > >>
                        > >>Hi waljaco,
                        > >> I quite like the idea of chocolate liqueur and would like
                        to try
                        > >>your recipe but what the hell is 0.5g xanthan gum (or similar
                        > >>thickening agent). It might be common to most of you guys, but
                        not
                        > >>here in the UK. I aint got the slightest idea what it is. Is it
                        one
                        > >>of the ingredients of a "Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster" or what?
                        > >>
                        > >>Geoff

                        > >> FAQ and other information at http://homedistiller.org
                        > >>Yahoo! Groups Links

                        > > Is your PC infected? Get a FREE online computer virus scan from
                        McAfee®
                        > > Security. http://clinic.mcafee.com/clinic/ibuy/campaign.asp?
                        cid=3963

                        > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • Glenn Bell
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jun 7, 2006
                          thanks...actually,  after the heads were discarded the first quart or two seemed to have a little more in them ...I was thinking that some might have gotten past the slobber box even tho it was drained regularly...will filter it a few times...if that doesnt do it..either rerun it or put some charred white oak in it for color...thanks again