Toasted Oak Chips

  • Dick
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 3, 2001
      Hi all,
      Can someone tell me what colour toasted oak chippings should be
      ? Following the instructions in an earlier posting I roasted some dry oak
      chippings (tightly wrapped in Al foil) @ 230 deg F for about 20 mins, the end
      result smelt great but was, if anything, only slightly darker than when I
      started. I'm getting my hands on some ex-whisky barrel staves from a local
      bottling plant and just have to find a use for them .................... !!
      --
      Dick on the LangWang
      Dedicated to Growing Old Disgracefully
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 3, 2001
        It sounds like you've made a light or medium toasted oak. Both are
        fine. I've used virgin American oak, light-toast American oak and
        medium-toast French oak with good results. I've also charred Madrone
        chips with good results. With the addition of those whiskey barrel
        staves, you should get decent results. You might look into charring
        the surfaces a few oak chips with a propane torch. This adds some
        different flavors, and the carbon will remove some impurities.

        Scott