RE: [Distillers] Double action (was) Re: temp misreradings

  • Anthony Athawes
    Message 1 of 94 , Jun 3, 2006
      I haven't even run a still yet so I'm not really qualified to comment....but
      your suggested experiment is the proper way to decide either way. However, I
      thought that the temperature at the top of the column was the important one
      to watch (starting around 78C after the methanol has come off), so,
      insulation is not important either way and possibly depends on the ambient
      temp. Obviously, the speed of refluxing has its affect. My kitchen keeps
      steady at 20/23 C, which excellently suits beer making here in England.

      When I do get the "World Class Still" working a decision on using the
      kitchen, garden shed or open air will have to be tackled - I'm worried
      about naked flames though it seems one gets better heat control.

      Tony

      Message 94 of 94 , Apr 2, 2008
        The following Distillers poll is now closed. Here are the
        final results:

        POLL QUESTION: Potstillers
        How do you decide when to make a cut in your spirit run ?

        CHOICES AND RESULTS
        - By Taste, 4 votes, 6.15%
        - By Smell, 3 votes, 4.62%
        - By Taste & Smell, 28 votes, 43.08%