Double action (was) Re: temp misreradings

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 94 , Jun 2, 2006
      <big snip on Micio's post>
      <small snip on Harry's reply>

      > That's all I can give you, Micio. You will need to build and
      > operate a reflux column in order to understand the differences in
      > how they work.
      >

      > Slainte!
      > regards Harry

      Micio: For a FUN experiment, run your REFLUX still twice with the
      same amount and type of wash. One run with the column insulated,
      one run without. Adjust the reflux for the same product collection
      rate for both runs (maybe 200 ml/hr?) Cut a sample of each to 40%
      abv and conduct a taste test.

      I've done this multiple times. I'm convinced that an insulated
      column gives me a better tasting product at a given collection
      rate. I don't know why - and I don't care why, but Harry's
      explaination sounds right. Now, maybe at lower power settings
      column insulation might not matter.

      But lower power settings reduces the collection rate AND the vapour
      speed. And I'm convinced of an optimum vapour speed - above which
      or below which the product quality suffers. MN has shared his
      thoughts on this - and again I've conducted a number of experiments
      by making runs at different power settings. For MY still and MY
      taste buds, I've found a power input and reflux rate combo that I'm
      happy with.

      Mark
    • Distillers@yahoogroups.com
      Message 94 of 94 , Apr 2, 2008
        The following Distillers poll is now closed. Here are the
        final results:

        POLL QUESTION: Potstillers
        How do you decide when to make a cut in your spirit run ?

        CHOICES AND RESULTS
        - By Taste, 4 votes, 6.15%
        - By Smell, 3 votes, 4.62%
        - By Taste & Smell, 28 votes, 43.08%