Double action (was) Re: temp misreradings

    Message 1 of 94 , Jun 2, 2006
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "miciofelice2003"
      <miciofelice2003@...> wrote:

      > Hi Harry.
      >
      > Yes, I think I've to speak with somebody in my native language,

      <big snip>

      > > Only a thing: I have (at least, I think to have) also some
      > > condensing on the lower plates.
      > > In my opinion I have a temperature gradient along the column: so
      > the
      > > upper-boiling components that leave the boiler have a
      condensation
      > > when they bump on a relatively cold plate. Such in this way I get
      > > partial purification of the vapours that climb along the column,
      > > isn't it?
      >

      > ................You are correct. But the reason is the surrounding
      > air removes some of the heat from the column.
      >

      > ........As I said before, you have a good potstill for grappa. DO
      > NOT INSULATE the column, unless you want the grappa to be heavier
      in
      > tails. It is a good balance between heating and air cooling, and it
      > allows a little more reflux to make the grappa cleaner. It works
      > similar to the old Scotch potstills or the French brandy stills,
      > except you have a little more control with the water tube in the
      top.

      > If you insulate the column, the grappa distillate will be heavier
      > with impurities and taste much different. Try both ways and you
      > will see the difference. If you don't like it, you can always re-
      > distill it.
      > snip
      >
      > So, I agreed with you and I did what you said: I had the idea that
      > insulating a column give an heavier product and a not insulated
      > column give a purer product.
      >
      > Is something changed? ========================

      -------------------------------
      Ok, one more try.

      Nothing has changed, Micio. You are talking about and confusing two
      different types of stills and their different columns.

      You have a potstill. A potstill allows ONE PLATE to happen in one
      length of column. A potstill MUST BE UN-INSULATED to get reflux
      happening.

      [Potstill NO Insulation] = Some Reflux = Some Separation (1 plate) =
      Less nasties in your product.

      [Potstill WITH Insulation] = No reflux = No separation = More
      nasties in your product.
      -------------------------------

      A Reflux Still is a PACKED COLUMN. A packed column allows MANY
      PLATES to happen in one length of column.
      [Reflux Still WITH Insulation] = reflux = separation (many plates) =
      much less nasties in the product.

      [Reflux Still NO Insulation] = less reflux = less separation (many
      plates) = more nasties in the product.
      -------------------------------

      That's all I can give you, Micio. You will need to build and
      operate a reflux column in order to understand the differences in
      how they work.

    • Distillers@yahoogroups.com
      Message 94 of 94 , Apr 2, 2008
        The following Distillers poll is now closed. Here are the
        final results:

        POLL QUESTION: Potstillers
        How do you decide when to make a cut in your spirit run ?

        CHOICES AND RESULTS
        - By Taste, 4 votes, 6.15%
        - By Smell, 3 votes, 4.62%
        - By Taste & Smell, 28 votes, 43.08%