Rum using Amazing Still as stripper

  • tonkyman1979
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 2, 2006
      Hi Guys,
      This may turn out to be a newbie question but I couldn't find the
      answer in the archives. I did find a recipe for rum where they used an
      Amazing Still (plactic bucket) for the entire run but that is not what
      I want to do.

      I have a small (5L) still so I would like to run my rum mash in my two
      Amazing Stills to do a beer stripping run before I do the final run in
      my small still. This is my first run of rum so I'm trying to be
      careful and not ruin the batch.

      I have two different mash recipes in the fermenters right now. I have
      a brown sugar recipe from Tony's site and a Molasses recipe that I
      found on another site. I worry about foaming in the still because my
      still is so small. Up until now I've distilled only sugar wash and
      some Pale Ale. I've learned how to control my still but I've always
      stripped my wash in my Amazing Still and then finished it in my 5L.

      I guess my questions are:
      Will I lose some of the "Rum" taste by stripping it first (I really
      want a nice Rum taste)??

      Has anyone done it this way and if so do you have any advice??

      Would I be better off finishing my 18L still this weekend and then run
      the mash??

      Would I be better off pulling the packing from my column and run it as
      a pot still?? I've read on Tony's site where it is being done both
      ways but I'd love to know what the general consensus of this group is.

      Thanks a bunch,
      Tony T
    • Trid
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 2, 2006
        I'm in love...
        I was working at a pharmaceutical lab today and met "her."

        "Her" being:
        http://tinyurl.com/zmret

        The first thing that caught my eye was the triple (!!!) helix
        condenser...GORGEOUS!!! If only for the glassblowing craftsmanship, it was
        stunning. I had to study it for a little bit (while still bearing the illusion
        of doing actual "work") and it's quite interesting, actually. Translate it to
        copper and it's almost dead on with a Nixon-Stone offset reflux head (this
        version was the reflux model as seen on the .pdf brochure) or maybe it's the
        other way around :)

        My voyeuristic side is piqued in as much as it would be mesmerising (to my
        easily amused mind) to watch the whole process...the boiling, the rising
        vapors, the condensate dripping, the actual division of some reflux going this
        way, some takeoff going that way...

        Yeah, I'm all atwitter...and at this point, every bit a nerd :)

        Trid
        -and they're *ONLY* $50,00 USD new :)