Re: Scrubbers

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 1, 2006
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Hubble" <zymurgybob@...>
      wrote:

      I run my potstill output through an
      > alcoholometer, and I commonly start spirit run at 78%. > Zymurgy
      Bob, a simple potstiller

      I checked my old notebooks and found the records. It was an 8%abv
      wash, 50% DME/Corn Sugar, Red Star yeast (don't know if it was lager
      or ale yeast, but I think ale yeast). 10 gallon wash. 15 gallon
      electric water heater still that directly fed a tube in a tube
      condensor. The product abv's were mid 40's. I collected the middle
      3rd (about 3 gallons) to redistill in the pot still.

      Oh poop. 18 years later as I write this, I see what I did.
      electric element must be covered, so I added about 12 gallons
      of "soft" water to the 3 gal collected to bring the wash up to 15
      gallons total volume - to fill up the water heater. 3 gal of 45%
      with 12 gal of 0% is about 9%abv. So the next run had darn near the
      same starting abv as the first wash. Explains why the next run's
      distillate abv was about the same, huh? (yea, I "huh'd" myself). A
      one plate pot still running batches of about the same starting wash,
      over and over again.

      alright - ya'all have a good laugh at my expense. but remember this
      was the days before the internet and Tony's website.
      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 1, 2006
        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" <markgofast@...> wrote:

        > Oh poop. 18 years later as I write this, I see what I did.
        > electric element must be covered, so I added about 12 gallons
        > of "soft" water to the 3 gal collected to bring the wash up to 15
        > gallons total volume - to fill up the water heater. 3 gal of 45%
        > with 12 gal of 0% is about 9%abv. So the next run had darn near
        the
        > same starting abv as the first wash. Explains why the next run's
        > distillate abv was about the same, huh? (yea, I "huh'd" myself).
        > one plate pot still running batches of about the same starting
        wash,
        > over and over again.
        >
        > alright - ya'all have a good laugh at my expense. but remember
        this
        > was the days before the internet and Tony's website.

        We won't laugh. On the contrary, it's a classic example of the
        usefulness of keeping notes. :-)

      • Andrew Bugal
        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 2, 2006
          Or maybe some plans for a smaller still (not necessarily an alembic) to process smaller volumes.

          Anyone help?

          Bwyze

          Harry <gnikomson2000@...> wrote:
          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" wrote:

          > Oh poop. 18 years later as I write this, I see what I did.
          > electric element must be covered, so I added about 12 gallons
          > of "soft" water to the 3 gal collected to bring the wash up to 15
          > gallons total volume - to fill up the water heater. 3 gal of 45%
          > with 12 gal of 0% is about 9%abv. So the next run had darn near
          the
          > same starting abv as the first wash. Explains why the next run's
          > distillate abv was about the same, huh? (yea, I "huh'd" myself).
          > one plate pot still running batches of about the same starting
          wash,
          > over and over again.
          >
          > alright - ya'all have a good laugh at my expense. but remember
          this
          > was the days before the internet and Tony's website.

          We won't laugh. On the contrary, it's a classic example of the
          usefulness of keeping notes. :-)

          http://us.click.yahoo.com/.7bhrC/MGxNAA/yQLSAA/e8NolB/TM

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          On Yahoo!7
          Answers: Real people ask and answer questions on any topic.

        • Robert Hubble
          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 2, 2006
            Hey Mark,

            NO laughing at your expense! We are ALL, to one extent or another, trying to
            wrap our heads around a mass of interacting information (see Harry's
            AND this list have improved my knowledge AND my stillin' by 3 orders of
            magnitude, at least... and I'm STILL just a potstiller.