Re: Scrubbers

  • mampoer_boer
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 1, 2006
      Also a simple Potstiller…

      My runs start at about 80% abv.
      I start very slowly controlling input temp (Gas 3 ring burner) to get
      1 drop per second for first 200ml
      60L wash at about 12-14%
      My middle run starts at 75% and ends usually at about 58-60%
      Rest is tails usually collect about 8L middle runs at avr 65-67%
      This is the first distillation. When I did not double distill.

      Now everything gets double distilled for a very nice Fruit brandy.
      Lots of work as I need to do % batches of first distillations to do a
      second distillation.
      This gives me about 60L of 45%abv (after dilution) of Brandy.
      Only lasts about 3 months.

      Mampoer Boer

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Hubble" <zymurgybob@...> wrote:

      > Well, I'll be go to hell (I'm told). I run my potstill output
      through an
      > alcoholometer, and I commonly start spirit run at 78%. Admittedly, I
      > haven't worried about temperature correction, but my condenser cools
      > thoroughly, and the product in the alcoholometer is cool, so I doubt
      the
      > number is very far off.
      >
      > Even a beer-stripping run can start at 68%.
      >
      > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller
      >

      > >From: "Mark" <markgofast@...>
      > >To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
      > >Subject: [Distillers] Re: Scrubbers
      > >Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2006 03:42:56 -0000
      > >
      > >--- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Link D'Antoni <link2d@> wrote:
      > > >

      > > > When running any of my pot stills I do not usually
      > > > get over 73%, 146 Proof.
      > >
      > > > Link
      > > >

      > >I used to pot still. I don't recall EVER getting 73%abv. More like
      > >40ish %abv as I recall. Unless I restilled the middle portions a few
      > >times.

      FREE!

    • Mark
      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 1, 2006
        wrote:

        I run my potstill output through an
        > alcoholometer, and I commonly start spirit run at 78%. > Zymurgy
        Bob, a simple potstiller

        I checked my old notebooks and found the records. It was an 8%abv
        wash, 50% DME/Corn Sugar, Red Star yeast (don't know if it was lager
        or ale yeast, but I think ale yeast). 10 gallon wash. 15 gallon
        electric water heater still that directly fed a tube in a tube
        condensor. The product abv's were mid 40's. I collected the middle
        3rd (about 3 gallons) to redistill in the pot still.

        Oh poop. 18 years later as I write this, I see what I did.
        electric element must be covered, so I added about 12 gallons
        of "soft" water to the 3 gal collected to bring the wash up to 15
        gallons total volume - to fill up the water heater. 3 gal of 45%
        with 12 gal of 0% is about 9%abv. So the next run had darn near the
        same starting abv as the first wash. Explains why the next run's
        distillate abv was about the same, huh? (yea, I "huh'd" myself). A
        one plate pot still running batches of about the same starting wash,
        over and over again.

        alright - ya'all have a good laugh at my expense. but remember this
        was the days before the internet and Tony's website.
        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 1, 2006
          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" <markgofast@...> wrote:

          > Oh poop. 18 years later as I write this, I see what I did.
          > electric element must be covered, so I added about 12 gallons
          > of "soft" water to the 3 gal collected to bring the wash up to 15
          > gallons total volume - to fill up the water heater. 3 gal of 45%
          > with 12 gal of 0% is about 9%abv. So the next run had darn near
          the
          > same starting abv as the first wash. Explains why the next run's
          > distillate abv was about the same, huh? (yea, I "huh'd" myself).
          > one plate pot still running batches of about the same starting
          wash,
          > over and over again.
          >
          > alright - ya'all have a good laugh at my expense. but remember
          this
          > was the days before the internet and Tony's website.

          We won't laugh. On the contrary, it's a classic example of the
          usefulness of keeping notes. :-)

        • Andrew Bugal
          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 2, 2006
            Or maybe some plans for a smaller still (not necessarily an alembic) to process smaller volumes.

            Anyone help?

            Bwyze

            Harry <gnikomson2000@...> wrote:
            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" wrote:

            > Oh poop. 18 years later as I write this, I see what I did.
            > electric element must be covered, so I added about 12 gallons
            > of "soft" water to the 3 gal collected to bring the wash up to 15
            > gallons total volume - to fill up the water heater. 3 gal of 45%
            > with 12 gal of 0% is about 9%abv. So the next run had darn near
            the
            > same starting abv as the first wash. Explains why the next run's
            > distillate abv was about the same, huh? (yea, I "huh'd" myself).
            > one plate pot still running batches of about the same starting
            wash,
            > over and over again.
            >
            > alright - ya'all have a good laugh at my expense. but remember
            this
            > was the days before the internet and Tony's website.

            We won't laugh. On the contrary, it's a classic example of the
            usefulness of keeping notes. :-)

            http://us.click.yahoo.com/.7bhrC/MGxNAA/yQLSAA/e8NolB/TM

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            On Yahoo!7
            Answers: Real people ask and answer questions on any topic.

          • Robert Hubble
            Message 5 of 19 , Jun 2, 2006
              Hey Mark,

              NO laughing at your expense! We are ALL, to one extent or another, trying to
              wrap our heads around a mass of interacting information (see Harry's
              AND this list have improved my knowledge AND my stillin' by 3 orders of
              magnitude, at least... and I'm STILL just a potstiller.