Re: temp misreadings

    Message 1 of 94 , Jun 1, 2006
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Larry Collins <barefootlarry@...>
      wrote:

      > At 12:26 AM 06/01/2006, you wrote:
      > >Also, it is essential that the water to the condensor is kept
      cool as that
      > >can really heat up and cause an imbalance in the column
      > >temperature. (self learned that little lesson).
      >
      > I've found a little pump that is made for birdbaths, and tabletop
      fountains
      > at Harbor Freight Tools, item number 41287.
      > http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?
      Itemnumber=41287

      > It pumps 190 gallons per hour, and draws about 250 watts of
      electricity.

      > It's $18.00 plus shipping on their website, but it's currently on
      sale at
      > our local HFT store for ten bucks, until June 12th.
      >
      > Is that flow-rate enough to keep a condenser cooled in a reflux
      column?

      Yep that'll work fine. But it's not drawing 250 watts, It's 24
      watts (0.2 amps) which is perfect. The flowrate will reduce
      somewhat through small-bore tubing. Try not to have too much
      distance between the pump and the condenser. Put your water
      container near the same level as the condenser, or above it (if
      possible).

    • Distillers@yahoogroups.com
      Message 94 of 94 , Apr 2 3:42 AM
        The following Distillers poll is now closed. Here are the
        final results:

        POLL QUESTION: Potstillers
        How do you decide when to make a cut in your spirit run ?

        CHOICES AND RESULTS
        - By Taste, 4 votes, 6.15%
        - By Smell, 3 votes, 4.62%
        - By Taste & Smell, 28 votes, 43.08%