RE: [Distillers] Re: Scrubbers

  • Robert Hubble
    Message 1 of 19 , May 31 11:47 PM
      Well, I'll be go to hell (I'm told). I run my potstill output through an
      alcoholometer, and I commonly start spirit run at 78%. Admittedly, I
      haven't worried about temperature correction, but my condenser cools
      thoroughly, and the product in the alcoholometer is cool, so I doubt the
      number is very far off.

      Even a beer-stripping run can start at 68%.

      Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

      >From: "Mark" <markgofast@...>
      >To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [Distillers] Re: Scrubbers
      >Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2006 03:42:56 -0000
      >
      >--- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Link D'Antoni <link2d@...> wrote:
      > >

      > > When running any of my pot stills I do not usually
      > > get over 73%, 146 Proof.
      >
      > > Link
      > >

      >I used to pot still. I don't recall EVER getting 73%abv. More like
      >40ish %abv as I recall. Unless I restilled the middle portions a few
      >times.

    • mampoer_boer
      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 1, 2006
        Also a simple Potstiller…

        My runs start at about 80% abv.
        I start very slowly controlling input temp (Gas 3 ring burner) to get
        1 drop per second for first 200ml
        60L wash at about 12-14%
        My middle run starts at 75% and ends usually at about 58-60%
        Rest is tails usually collect about 8L middle runs at avr 65-67%
        This is the first distillation. When I did not double distill.

        Now everything gets double distilled for a very nice Fruit brandy.
        Lots of work as I need to do % batches of first distillations to do a
        second distillation.
        This gives me about 60L of 45%abv (after dilution) of Brandy.
        Only lasts about 3 months.

        Mampoer Boer

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Hubble" <zymurgybob@...> wrote:

        > Well, I'll be go to hell (I'm told). I run my potstill output
        through an
        > alcoholometer, and I commonly start spirit run at 78%. Admittedly, I
        > haven't worried about temperature correction, but my condenser cools
        > thoroughly, and the product in the alcoholometer is cool, so I doubt
        the
        > number is very far off.
        >
        > Even a beer-stripping run can start at 68%.
        >
        > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller
        >

        > >From: "Mark" <markgofast@...>
        > >To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
        > >Subject: [Distillers] Re: Scrubbers
        > >Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2006 03:42:56 -0000
        > >
        > >--- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Link D'Antoni <link2d@> wrote:
        > > >

        > > > When running any of my pot stills I do not usually
        > > > get over 73%, 146 Proof.
        > >
        > > > Link
        > > >

        > >I used to pot still. I don't recall EVER getting 73%abv. More like
        > >40ish %abv as I recall. Unless I restilled the middle portions a few
        > >times.

        FREE!

      • Mark
        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 1, 2006
          wrote:

          I run my potstill output through an
          > alcoholometer, and I commonly start spirit run at 78%. > Zymurgy
          Bob, a simple potstiller

          I checked my old notebooks and found the records. It was an 8%abv
          wash, 50% DME/Corn Sugar, Red Star yeast (don't know if it was lager
          or ale yeast, but I think ale yeast). 10 gallon wash. 15 gallon
          electric water heater still that directly fed a tube in a tube
          condensor. The product abv's were mid 40's. I collected the middle
          3rd (about 3 gallons) to redistill in the pot still.

          Oh poop. 18 years later as I write this, I see what I did.
          electric element must be covered, so I added about 12 gallons
          of "soft" water to the 3 gal collected to bring the wash up to 15
          gallons total volume - to fill up the water heater. 3 gal of 45%
          with 12 gal of 0% is about 9%abv. So the next run had darn near the
          same starting abv as the first wash. Explains why the next run's
          distillate abv was about the same, huh? (yea, I "huh'd" myself). A
          one plate pot still running batches of about the same starting wash,
          over and over again.

          alright - ya'all have a good laugh at my expense. but remember this
          was the days before the internet and Tony's website.
          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 1, 2006
            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" <markgofast@...> wrote:

            > Oh poop. 18 years later as I write this, I see what I did.
            > electric element must be covered, so I added about 12 gallons
            > of "soft" water to the 3 gal collected to bring the wash up to 15
            > gallons total volume - to fill up the water heater. 3 gal of 45%
            > with 12 gal of 0% is about 9%abv. So the next run had darn near
            the
            > same starting abv as the first wash. Explains why the next run's
            > distillate abv was about the same, huh? (yea, I "huh'd" myself).
            > one plate pot still running batches of about the same starting
            wash,
            > over and over again.
            >
            > alright - ya'all have a good laugh at my expense. but remember
            this
            > was the days before the internet and Tony's website.

            We won't laugh. On the contrary, it's a classic example of the
            usefulness of keeping notes. :-)

          • Andrew Bugal
            Message 5 of 19 , Jun 2, 2006
              Or maybe some plans for a smaller still (not necessarily an alembic) to process smaller volumes.

              Anyone help?

              Bwyze

              Harry <gnikomson2000@...> wrote:
              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" wrote:

              > Oh poop. 18 years later as I write this, I see what I did.
              > electric element must be covered, so I added about 12 gallons
              > of "soft" water to the 3 gal collected to bring the wash up to 15
              > gallons total volume - to fill up the water heater. 3 gal of 45%
              > with 12 gal of 0% is about 9%abv. So the next run had darn near
              the
              > same starting abv as the first wash. Explains why the next run's
              > distillate abv was about the same, huh? (yea, I "huh'd" myself).
              > one plate pot still running batches of about the same starting
              wash,
              > over and over again.
              >
              > alright - ya'all have a good laugh at my expense. but remember
              this
              > was the days before the internet and Tony's website.

              We won't laugh. On the contrary, it's a classic example of the
              usefulness of keeping notes. :-)

              http://us.click.yahoo.com/.7bhrC/MGxNAA/yQLSAA/e8NolB/TM

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              On Yahoo!7
              Answers: Real people ask and answer questions on any topic.

            • Robert Hubble
              Message 6 of 19 , Jun 2, 2006
                Hey Mark,

                NO laughing at your expense! We are ALL, to one extent or another, trying to
                wrap our heads around a mass of interacting information (see Harry's
                AND this list have improved my knowledge AND my stillin' by 3 orders of
                magnitude, at least... and I'm STILL just a potstiller.