Black Gunge and Cleaning

  • burrows206
    Message 1 of 3 , May 30, 2006
      Hi fellow stillers,
      I distilled a 48 hr Turbo Pure in my valved reflux still on
      Sunday and got a thickish black crud on the inside wall of my 3"
      condenser pipe. I can clean it off when I scrub everything down and
      set up for my next run. But I'm a little worried as to what is
      causing this. I must be doing something wrong? Or am I?
      From my wine distilling days I have a lot of Campden tablets
      (Sodium Metabisulphite 92.5% Macragol 7.5%)
      Now if I add 2 tea spoon fulls of lemon juice to 6 crushed
      Campden tablets to a pint of water will this successfully clean off
      the crud as well as sterilize the whole column. (It will also
      clean whatever sensation you might retain in your nose, it's a bit
      like getting a good whiff of Ammonia if the wind is blowing the
      wrong way)
      Feed back is needed and wanted before i try this. I know this will
      sterilize bottles and fermenting equipment on one pass, but it is
      highly
      corrosive. What will it do with continuous use on copper pipe? I
      just want to use all these flipping Campden tablets if I can and
      clean the still at the same time. You can now come to my rescue all
      you outlaw chemists

      Geoff
    • KM Services
      Message 2 of 3 , May 30, 2006

             I distilled a 48 hr Turbo Pure in my valved reflux still on
        Sunday and got a thickish black crud on the inside wall of my 3"
        condenser pipe.  I can clean it off when I scrub everything down and
        set up for my next run. But I'm a little worried as to what is
        causing this. I must be doing something wrong?  Or am I?
             From my wine distilling days I have a lot of Campden tablets
        (Sodium Metabisulphite 92.5% Macragol 7.5%)
             Now if I add 2 tea spoon fulls of lemon juice to 6 crushed
        Campden tablets to a pint of water will this successfully clean off
        the crud as well as sterilize  the whole column. (It will also
        clean whatever sensation you might retain in your nose, it's a bit
        like getting a good whiff of Ammonia if the wind is blowing the
        wrong way)
        Feed back is needed and wanted before i try this.  I know this will
        sterilize bottles and fermenting equipment on one pass, but it is
        highly
        corrosive.  What will it do with continuous use on copper pipe?   I
        just want to use all these flipping Campden tablets if I can and
        clean the still at the same time.  You can now come to my rescue all
        you outlaw chemists

        My understanding is it is Ok with glass, stainless steel, plastic fermenters etc  I recall reading on this forum some time ago that Sodium Metasulphite and copper produce a “NASTY” compound maybe Harry or others could direct you to the thread.

        Cheers Ken Mc

      • Robert Thomas
        Message 3 of 3 , May 31, 2006
          --- KM Services <km_services@...> wrote:
          <snip>
          metabisulphite + acid = sulphur dioxide
          this plus copper = copper sulphite which is soluble in water.
          Thus, what you are doing is stripping a layer of copper off every time
          you clean. Not good if you do it too often, or leave it too long.
          I's keep the tabs for glassware and plastic.
          I have a suspicion that the black "crud" may be caused by the reaction,
          as well as removed by it. Make sure you rinse very well with hot water
          after cleaning to remove leftover cleaning solution.
          I'm thinking it is similar to the way copper roofs etc go black in
          smoggy areas instead of a nice verdigris green.
          Cheers
          Rob.

          Cheers,
          Rob.