Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.
 

Scrubbers

Expand Messages
  • Bob Gibson
    Hi Ken, regarding the scouring pads from the $2 shop, the brand name is (Jolly Man)these are certainly copper,i removed them after a run and found them heavly
    Message 1 of 19 , May 30, 2006
      Hi Ken, regarding the scouring pads from the $2 shop, the brand name
      is (Jolly Man)these are certainly copper,i removed them after a run
      and found them heavly discoloured, i tried soaking them in vinegar,
      but found them to be too brittle and breaking up.maybe they are a
      throwaway thing!I also have SS ones in the colum.Iv'e been getting
      into the liqueurs lately , damsen plum was my first, that was
      terrific, i have about three gallons of red guarva down at the moment,
      should prove interesting in the long winter nights regards Bob
    • Bob Gibson
      Hi Ken, regarding the scouring pads from the $2 shop, the brand name is (Jolly Man)these are certainly copper,i removed them after a run and found them heavly
      Message 2 of 19 , May 30, 2006
        Hi Ken, regarding the scouring pads from the $2 shop, the brand name
        is (Jolly Man)these are certainly copper,i removed them after a run
        and found them heavly discoloured, i tried soaking them in vinegar,
        but found them to be too brittle and breaking up.maybe they are a
        throwaway thing!I also have SS ones in the colum.Iv'e been getting
        into the liqueurs lately , damsen plum was my first, that was
        terrific, i have about three gallons of red guarva down at the moment,
        should prove interesting in the long winter nights regards Bob
      • Link D'Antoni
        Bob, If you are refluxing your fruit runs, I m guessing that you are loosing much of the flavor. I strictly use pot for fruit Brandies/Schnapps. Made some
        Message 3 of 19 , May 30, 2006
          Bob,

          If you are refluxing your fruit runs, I'm guessing
          that you are loosing much of the flavor. I strictly
          use pot for fruit Brandies/Schnapps. Made some
          nectarine this past weekend. Started off 73% and ran
          it to 50%. (kept running to include in the next
          batch, but not included in the finished). Most time I
          don't even filter (fruit runs) as much. The taste is
          pulled out and frankly.. it's all about the taste,
          right?!! OK.. and the buzz...
          I have run molasses (rum) with reflux but I actually
          like the molasses taste and perfer to run pot still...
          then carbon filter.

          Link


          --- Bob Gibson <gibsons@...> wrote:

          > Hi Ken, regarding the scouring pads from the $2
          > shop, the brand name
          > is (Jolly Man)these are certainly copper,i removed
          > them after a run
          > and found them heavly discoloured, i tried soaking
          > them in vinegar,
          > but found them to be too brittle and breaking
          > up.maybe they are a
          > throwaway thing!I also have SS ones in the
          > colum.Iv'e been getting
          > into the liqueurs lately , damsen plum was my first,
          > that was
          > terrific, i have about three gallons of red guarva
          > down at the moment,
          > should prove interesting in the long winter nights
          > regards Bob
          >
          >
          >
          >
          >


          __________________________________________________
          Do You Yahoo!?
          Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • abbababbaccc
          Link, do you have any idea where all that flavor goes then? ;) - Riku
          Message 4 of 19 , May 30, 2006
            Link, do you have any idea where all that flavor goes then? ;)

            - Riku

            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Link D'Antoni <link2d@...> wrote:
            >
            > Bob,
            >
            > If you are refluxing your fruit runs, I'm guessing
            > that you are loosing much of the flavor. I strictly
            >
          • Bob Gibson
            ... making my liqueurs by masserating the fruit in neutral sprit, for six weeks or more, i then strain the pulp by squeezing it through the wifes panty hose!
            Message 5 of 19 , May 30, 2006
              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Link D'Antoni <link2d@...> wrote:
              >
              > Bob,
              >
              > If you are refluxing your fruit runs, I'm guessing
              > that you are loosing much of the flavor. I strictly
              > use pot for fruit Brandies/Schnapps. Made some
              > nectarine this past weekend. Started off 73% and ran
              > it to 50%. (kept running to include in the next
              > batch, but not included in the finished). Most time I
              > don't even filter (fruit runs) as much. The taste is
              > pulled out and frankly.. it's all about the taste,
              > right?!! OK.. and the buzz...
              > I have run molasses (rum) with reflux but I actually
              > like the molasses taste and perfer to run pot still...
              > then carbon filter.
              >
              > Link
              > Sorry Link , i don't think i explained myself very well, i'm
              making my liqueurs by masserating the fruit in neutral sprit, for six
              weeks or more, i then strain the pulp by squeezing it through the
              wifes panty hose! racking off the clear liquid after it settles. I
              might pull the packings out of my reflux and give your recioe a try.I
              too like the tastse of the molasses, and have made rum from a resipe
              found on the site, two tbs molasses, one tps of vanila essence,
              andone tbs of cinnaman to 1,125 mls of spirit regards Bob
              >
              > --- Bob Gibson <gibsons@...> wrote:
              >
              > > Hi Ken, regarding the scouring pads from the $2
              > > shop, the brand name
              > > is (Jolly Man)these are certainly copper,i removed
              > > them after a run
              > > and found them heavly discoloured, i tried soaking
              > > them in vinegar,
              > > but found them to be too brittle and breaking
              > > up.maybe they are a
              > > throwaway thing!I also have SS ones in the
              > > colum.Iv'e been getting
              > > into the liqueurs lately , damsen plum was my first,
              > > that was
              > > terrific, i have about three gallons of red guarva
              > > down at the moment,
              > > should prove interesting in the long winter nights
              > > regards Bob
              > >
              > >
              > >
              > >
              > >
              >
              >
              > __________________________________________________
              > Do You Yahoo!?
              > Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
              > http://mail.yahoo.com
              >
            • Link D'Antoni
              Bob, Agreed... I have made many runs after using my wife run panty hose as well. My personal experice is that steeping fruit in neutral spirits before
              Message 6 of 19 , May 31, 2006
                Bob,
                Agreed... I have made many runs after using my wife
                'run' panty hose as well. My personal experice is
                that steeping fruit in neutral spirits before running
                does not get the flavor result as when I ferment the
                fruit. The first few times I figured that it was
                that I varied my method/process. That has not proven
                to be the case. I don't know if there is some
                principle at work but the result if definate.
                On the molasses... I am using 84 Brix molasses. I
                don't had anything.... just heat! :-) I, however,
                like the idea of the vanilla. Something new to try,
                huh...

                Strainers... My wife 'runs' only so many hose.... I
                go to Home Depot and get 5 gal paint strainers. They
                are much cheaper than the ones for wine stores and
                have elastic tops.

                Link


                --- Bob Gibson <gibsons@...> wrote:

                > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Link D'Antoni
                > <link2d@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Bob,
                > >
                > > If you are refluxing your fruit runs, I'm
                > guessing
                > > that you are loosing much of the flavor. I
                > strictly

                > > Sorry Link , i don't think i explained myself
                > very well, i'm
                > making my liqueurs by masserating the fruit in
                > neutral sprit, for six
                > weeks or more, i then strain the pulp by squeezing
                > it through the
                > wifes panty hose! racking off the clear liquid after
                > it settles. I
                > might pull the packings out of my reflux and give
                > your recioe a try.I
                > too like the tastse of the molasses, and have made
                > rum from a resipe
                > found on the site, two tbs molasses, one tps of
                > vanila essence,
                > andone tbs of cinnaman to 1,125 mls of spirit
                > regards Bob


                __________________________________________________
                Do You Yahoo!?
                Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • Link D'Antoni
                Riku, The flavor doesn t go anywhere. It is just not carried over. The purer, higher proof, the least the cojourners/impurities (sp) carried over with the
                Message 7 of 19 , May 31, 2006
                  Riku,

                  The flavor doesn't go anywhere. It is just not
                  carried over. The purer, higher proof, the least the
                  cojourners/impurities (sp) carried over with the ethyl
                  alcohol.
                  Are you familiar with Tony Ackland's:
                  http://homedistiller.org
                  That site covers most of what is addressed on this
                  Group. And it's downloadable.
                  Back to topic... I find that I get no flavor or
                  little flavor when running over 90%. At 96% no
                  flavor... just sweet alcohol.

                  Link


                  --- abbababbaccc <abbababbaccc@...> wrote:

                  > Link, do you have any idea where all that flavor
                  > goes then? ;)
                  >
                  > - Riku
                  >
                  > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Link D'Antoni
                  > <link2d@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Bob,
                  > >
                  > > If you are refluxing your fruit runs, I'm
                  > guessing
                  > > that you are loosing much of the flavor. I
                  > strictly
                  > >
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >


                  __________________________________________________
                  Do You Yahoo!?
                  Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • abbababbaccc
                  Well, I m well aware of Tony s work and maybe you should read it more carefully as well. You say that the flavors are not carried over, but for 95% of those
                  Message 8 of 19 , May 31, 2006
                    Well, I'm well aware of Tony's work and maybe you should read it more
                    carefully as well. You say that the flavors are not carried over, but
                    for 95% of those "flavors" it's not true. Those "flavors" have
                    different boiling point from ethanol, and with efficient still they
                    are more efficiently separated from ethanol. The lower boiling
                    point "flavors" come out of your still before the ethanol comes out,
                    the higher boiling point stuff comes after it. With potstill they are
                    blended with ethanol to a higher degree, with high separation reflux
                    still you can collect them separately and mix & match later if you
                    wish. Actually with this method you can enhance those good flavors if
                    you want. If you are interested in this methodology I recommend
                    reading Ian Smiley's corn whiskey book.

                    Sorry, I thought we all new this allready.

                    - Riku

                    --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Link D'Antoni <link2d@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > Riku,
                    >
                    > The flavor doesn't go anywhere. It is just not
                    > carried over. The purer, higher proof, the least the
                    > cojourners/impurities (sp) carried over with the ethyl
                    > alcohol.
                    > Are you familiar with Tony Ackland's:
                    > http://homedistiller.org
                    > That site covers most of what is addressed on this
                    > Group. And it's downloadable.
                    > Back to topic... I find that I get no flavor or
                    > little flavor when running over 90%. At 96% no
                    > flavor... just sweet alcohol.
                    >
                    > Link
                    >
                    >
                    >
                  • Link D'Antoni
                    Riku, Yes, I am familiar with Smiley s work as well. I relayed to you my personal experience. When I run my reflux, a 36 H, 2 D tower, copper mesh
                    Message 9 of 19 , May 31, 2006
                      Riku,

                      <sigh>
                      Yes, I am familiar with Smiley's work as well.
                      I relayed to you my personal experience.
                      When I run my reflux, a 36"H, 2"D tower, copper mesh
                      packing, I do not get flavor above 95%, 190 proof. I
                      seperate yield every 200 ml (or there abouts). I'm a
                      little bit of a control freak. I notice as proof
                      diminishes flavor/aroma increases.
                      When running any of my pot stills I do not usually
                      get over 73%, 146 Proof. The aim, my aim is to bring
                      much of the flavors over.


                      Link

                      --- abbababbaccc <abbababbaccc@...> wrote:

                      > Well, I'm well aware of Tony's work and maybe you
                      > should read it more
                      > carefully as well. You say that the flavors are not
                      > carried over, but
                      > for 95% of those "flavors" it's not true. Those
                      > "flavors" have
                      > different boiling point from ethanol, and with
                      > efficient still they
                      > are more efficiently separated from ethanol. The
                      > lower boiling
                      > point "flavors" come out of your still before the
                      > ethanol comes out,
                      > the higher boiling point stuff comes after it. With
                      > potstill they are
                      > blended with ethanol to a higher degree, with high
                      > separation reflux
                      > still you can collect them separately and mix &
                      > match later if you
                      > wish. Actually with this method you can enhance
                      > those good flavors if
                      > you want. If you are interested in this methodology
                      > I recommend
                      > reading Ian Smiley's corn whiskey book.
                      >
                      > Sorry, I thought we all new this allready.
                      >
                      > - Riku
                      >
                      > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Link D'Antoni
                      > <link2d@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Riku,
                      > >
                      > > The flavor doesn't go anywhere. It is just not
                      > > carried over. The purer, higher proof, the least
                      > the
                      > > cojourners/impurities (sp) carried over with the
                      > ethyl
                      > > alcohol.
                      > > Are you familiar with Tony Ackland's:
                      > > http://homedistiller.org
                      > > That site covers most of what is addressed on this
                      > > Group. And it's downloadable.
                      > > Back to topic... I find that I get no flavor or
                      > > little flavor when running over 90%. At 96% no
                      > > flavor... just sweet alcohol.
                      > >
                      > > Link
                      > >
                      > >
                      > >
                      >
                      >
                      >
                      >
                      >


                      __________________________________________________
                      Do You Yahoo!?
                      Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                    • abbababbaccc
                      Link, potstill is indeed the easy way to do flavorfull whiskey. That s been my main tool for the last couple of years as well. However, I did my first
                      Message 10 of 19 , May 31, 2006
                        Link, potstill is indeed the easy way to do flavorfull whiskey.
                        That's been my main tool for the last couple of years as well.
                        However, I did my first experiments with reflux still with quite
                        acceptable results and lately I've been experimenting with CM still
                        for whiskey. My goal is to make tripple distilled Irish style whiskey
                        at one go while minimizing feints, and while I'm still experimenting
                        this road shows some promise. I was trying to point out that the
                        flavors go nowhere, they just get concentrated more which requires
                        more carefull attention to cuts. Even with proper and carefull cuts
                        this approach generates somewhat lighter bodied whiskies as the very
                        high and low boiling point alcohols stay almost absent.

                        Now another point is that high ABV does not guarantee good
                        separation. As an example a spirall still is capable of producing
                        95.6% stuff with carefull operation while the actual neutral middle
                        cut is only ~20% of total alcohol.

                        The final point is that the traditional double distillation in
                        potstills is not the only way to make whiskeys, the commercial Irish
                        method of making whiskeys is actually quite far from it. For us hobby
                        distillers this provides some new interesting tracks to experiment
                        with.

                        - Riku

                        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Link D'Antoni <link2d@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > Riku,
                        >
                        > <sigh>
                        > Yes, I am familiar with Smiley's work as well.
                        > I relayed to you my personal experience.
                        > When I run my reflux, a 36"H, 2"D tower, copper mesh
                        > packing, I do not get flavor above 95%, 190 proof. I
                        > seperate yield every 200 ml (or there abouts). I'm a
                        > little bit of a control freak. I notice as proof
                        > diminishes flavor/aroma increases.
                        > When running any of my pot stills I do not usually
                        > get over 73%, 146 Proof. The aim, my aim is to bring
                        > much of the flavors over.
                        >
                        >
                        > Link
                        >
                        > --- abbababbaccc <abbababbaccc@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > > Well, I'm well aware of Tony's work and maybe you
                        > > should read it more
                        > > carefully as well. You say that the flavors are not
                        > > carried over, but
                        > > for 95% of those "flavors" it's not true. Those
                        > > "flavors" have
                        > > different boiling point from ethanol, and with
                        > > efficient still they
                        > > are more efficiently separated from ethanol. The
                        > > lower boiling
                        > > point "flavors" come out of your still before the
                        > > ethanol comes out,
                        > > the higher boiling point stuff comes after it. With
                        > > potstill they are
                        > > blended with ethanol to a higher degree, with high
                        > > separation reflux
                        > > still you can collect them separately and mix &
                        > > match later if you
                        > > wish. Actually with this method you can enhance
                        > > those good flavors if
                        > > you want. If you are interested in this methodology
                        > > I recommend
                        > > reading Ian Smiley's corn whiskey book.
                        > >
                        > > Sorry, I thought we all new this allready.
                        > >
                        > > - Riku
                        > >
                        > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Link D'Antoni
                        > > <link2d@> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > Riku,
                        > > >
                        > > > The flavor doesn't go anywhere. It is just not
                        > > > carried over. The purer, higher proof, the least
                        > > the
                        > > > cojourners/impurities (sp) carried over with the
                        > > ethyl
                        > > > alcohol.
                        > > > Are you familiar with Tony Ackland's:
                        > > > http://homedistiller.org
                        > > > That site covers most of what is addressed on this
                        > > > Group. And it's downloadable.
                        > > > Back to topic... I find that I get no flavor or
                        > > > little flavor when running over 90%. At 96% no
                        > > > flavor... just sweet alcohol.
                        > > >
                        > > > Link
                        > > >
                        > > >
                        > > >
                        > >
                        > >
                        > >
                        > >
                        > >
                        >
                        >
                        > __________________________________________________
                        > Do You Yahoo!?
                        > Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
                        > http://mail.yahoo.com
                        >
                      • Link D'Antoni
                        Riku, I don t have my Ian Smiley book at the office but I was able to look at Tony s Home Distillation of Alcohol . Heading: Distillation - Distilling the
                        Message 11 of 19 , May 31, 2006
                          Riku,

                          I don't have my Ian Smiley book at the office but I
                          was able to look at Tony's 'Home Distillation of
                          Alcohol'.
                          Heading: Distillation
                          - Distilling the Wash
                          -Using a pot still
                          "Graham describes using his ...
                          I single distill as I have no need to purify my
                          spirits. The concentration at the top of the tower can
                          be controlled with how much heat i apply at the
                          bottom. If I want a pure spirit, I apply a low heat
                          and can run it off at over 90%. with a bit of a twig I
                          have hit the magical 97.5%. But you get utterly no
                          flavours. I apply more heat, so I get a run at about
                          70 to 80% and get the flavours I need. Its true
                          people, about about 80% you start to lose flavours."

                          I couldn't, on the spot, remember reading someone
                          else's experience, but here is. This has been my
                          experience too.

                          I practice a lot (so my wife tells me). Much is by
                          trial and error. I assure you that my hope in being
                          involved in this Group is to improve my result
                          gleaning knowledge and experience of others like
                          yourself.

                          Link



                          --- abbababbaccc <abbababbaccc@...> wrote:

                          > Well, I'm well aware of Tony's work and maybe you
                          > should read it more
                          > carefully as well. You say that the flavors are not
                          > carried over, but
                          > for 95% of those "flavors" it's not true. Those
                          > "flavors" have
                          > different boiling point from ethanol, and with
                          > efficient still they
                          > are more efficiently separated from ethanol. The
                          > lower boiling
                          > point "flavors" come out of your still before the
                          > ethanol comes out,
                          > the higher boiling point stuff comes after it. With
                          > potstill they are
                          > blended with ethanol to a higher degree, with high
                          > separation reflux
                          > still you can collect them separately and mix &
                          > match later if you
                          > wish. Actually with this method you can enhance
                          > those good flavors if
                          > you want. If you are interested in this methodology
                          > I recommend
                          > reading Ian Smiley's corn whiskey book.
                          >
                          > Sorry, I thought we all new this allready.
                          >
                          > - Riku
                          >
                          > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Link D'Antoni
                          > <link2d@...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Riku,
                          > >
                          > > The flavor doesn't go anywhere. It is just not
                          > > carried over. The purer, higher proof, the least
                          > the
                          > > cojourners/impurities (sp) carried over with the
                          > ethyl
                          > > alcohol.
                          > > Are you familiar with Tony Ackland's:
                          > > http://homedistiller.org
                          > > That site covers most of what is addressed on this
                          > > Group. And it's downloadable.
                          > > Back to topic... I find that I get no flavor or
                          > > little flavor when running over 90%. At 96% no
                          > > flavor... just sweet alcohol.
                          > >
                          > > Link
                          > >
                          > >
                          > >
                          >
                          >
                          >
                          >
                          >


                          __________________________________________________
                          Do You Yahoo!?
                          Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
                          http://mail.yahoo.com
                        • Mark
                          ... I used to pot still. I don t recall EVER getting 73%abv. More like 40ish %abv as I recall. Unless I restilled the middle portions a few times.
                          Message 12 of 19 , May 31, 2006
                            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Link D'Antoni <link2d@...> wrote:
                            >

                            > When running any of my pot stills I do not usually
                            > get over 73%, 146 Proof.

                            > Link
                            >

                            I used to pot still. I don't recall EVER getting 73%abv. More like
                            40ish %abv as I recall. Unless I restilled the middle portions a few
                            times.
                          • Robert Hubble
                            Ok, guys, Sorry to be slow getting back to everyone, but when I spoke of reflux, it was the reflux that occurs in an UN-packed .6m column due to cooling of the
                            Message 13 of 19 , May 31, 2006
                              Ok, guys,

                              Sorry to be slow getting back to everyone, but when I spoke of reflux, it
                              was the reflux that occurs in an UN-packed .6m column due to cooling of the
                              column by the surrounding air. I consider this to be a potstill, and there
                              is NO reflux condenser attached. A few months ago we were discussing this
                              kind of "incidental" reflux on the list, and it appeared that 5-15% reflux
                              was estimated. From that discussion, I started playing with insulating my
                              column.

                              I believe that insulating the column to reduce this reflux has given me more
                              flavor in the product

                              Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller




                              >From: Link D'Antoni <link2d@...>
                              >Reply-To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
                              >To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
                              >Subject: Re: [Distillers] Re: Scrubbers
                              >Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 07:51:45 -0700 (PDT)
                              >
                              >Riku,
                              >
                              > The flavor doesn't go anywhere. It is just not
                              >carried over. The purer, higher proof, the least the
                              >cojourners/impurities (sp) carried over with the ethyl
                              >alcohol.
                              > Are you familiar with Tony Ackland's:
                              > http://homedistiller.org
                              >That site covers most of what is addressed on this
                              >Group. And it's downloadable.
                              > Back to topic... I find that I get no flavor or
                              >little flavor when running over 90%. At 96% no
                              >flavor... just sweet alcohol.
                              >
                              >Link
                              >
                              >
                              >--- abbababbaccc <abbababbaccc@...> wrote:
                              >
                              > > Link, do you have any idea where all that flavor
                              > > goes then? ;)
                              > >
                              > > - Riku
                              > >
                              > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Link D'Antoni
                              > > <link2d@...> wrote:
                              > > >
                              > > > Bob,
                              > > >
                              > > > If you are refluxing your fruit runs, I'm
                              > > guessing
                              > > > that you are loosing much of the flavor. I
                              > > strictly
                              > > >
                              > >
                              > >
                              > >
                              > >
                              >
                              >
                              >__________________________________________________
                              >Do You Yahoo!?
                              >Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
                              >http://mail.yahoo.com

                              _________________________________________________________________
                              Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download today - it's FREE!
                              http://messenger.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/
                            • Robert Hubble
                              Well, I ll be go to hell (I m told). I run my potstill output through an alcoholometer, and I commonly start spirit run at 78%. Admittedly, I haven t
                              Message 14 of 19 , May 31, 2006
                                Well, I'll be go to hell (I'm told). I run my potstill output through an
                                alcoholometer, and I commonly start spirit run at 78%. Admittedly, I
                                haven't worried about temperature correction, but my condenser cools
                                thoroughly, and the product in the alcoholometer is cool, so I doubt the
                                number is very far off.

                                Even a beer-stripping run can start at 68%.

                                Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller




                                >From: "Mark" <markgofast@...>
                                >Reply-To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
                                >To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
                                >Subject: [Distillers] Re: Scrubbers
                                >Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2006 03:42:56 -0000
                                >
                                >--- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Link D'Antoni <link2d@...> wrote:
                                > >
                                >
                                > > When running any of my pot stills I do not usually
                                > > get over 73%, 146 Proof.
                                >
                                > > Link
                                > >
                                >
                                >I used to pot still. I don't recall EVER getting 73%abv. More like
                                >40ish %abv as I recall. Unless I restilled the middle portions a few
                                >times.
                                >
                                >
                                >
                                >

                                _________________________________________________________________
                                Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download today - it's FREE!
                                http://messenger.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/
                              • mampoer_boer
                                Also a simple Potstiller… My runs start at about 80% abv. I start very slowly controlling input temp (Gas 3 ring burner) to get 1 drop per second for first
                                Message 15 of 19 , Jun 1, 2006
                                  Also a simple Potstiller…

                                  My runs start at about 80% abv.
                                  I start very slowly controlling input temp (Gas 3 ring burner) to get
                                  1 drop per second for first 200ml
                                  60L wash at about 12-14%
                                  My middle run starts at 75% and ends usually at about 58-60%
                                  Rest is tails usually collect about 8L middle runs at avr 65-67%
                                  This is the first distillation. When I did not double distill.

                                  Now everything gets double distilled for a very nice Fruit brandy.
                                  Lots of work as I need to do % batches of first distillations to do a
                                  second distillation.
                                  This gives me about 60L of 45%abv (after dilution) of Brandy.
                                  Only lasts about 3 months.

                                  Mampoer Boer


                                  --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Hubble" <zymurgybob@...> wrote:
                                  >
                                  > Well, I'll be go to hell (I'm told). I run my potstill output
                                  through an
                                  > alcoholometer, and I commonly start spirit run at 78%. Admittedly, I
                                  > haven't worried about temperature correction, but my condenser cools
                                  > thoroughly, and the product in the alcoholometer is cool, so I doubt
                                  the
                                  > number is very far off.
                                  >
                                  > Even a beer-stripping run can start at 68%.
                                  >
                                  > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller
                                  >
                                  >
                                  >
                                  >
                                  > >From: "Mark" <markgofast@...>
                                  > >Reply-To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
                                  > >To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
                                  > >Subject: [Distillers] Re: Scrubbers
                                  > >Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2006 03:42:56 -0000
                                  > >
                                  > >--- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Link D'Antoni <link2d@> wrote:
                                  > > >
                                  > >
                                  > > > When running any of my pot stills I do not usually
                                  > > > get over 73%, 146 Proof.
                                  > >
                                  > > > Link
                                  > > >
                                  > >
                                  > >I used to pot still. I don't recall EVER getting 73%abv. More like
                                  > >40ish %abv as I recall. Unless I restilled the middle portions a few
                                  > >times.
                                  > >
                                  > >
                                  > >
                                  > >
                                  >
                                  > _________________________________________________________________
                                  > Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download today - it's
                                  FREE!
                                  > http://messenger.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/
                                  >
                                • Mark
                                  ... I run my potstill output through an ... Bob, a simple potstiller I checked my old notebooks and found the records. It was an 8%abv wash, 50% DME/Corn
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jun 1, 2006
                                    --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Hubble" <zymurgybob@...>
                                    wrote:
                                    >
                                    I run my potstill output through an
                                    > alcoholometer, and I commonly start spirit run at 78%. > Zymurgy
                                    Bob, a simple potstiller


                                    I checked my old notebooks and found the records. It was an 8%abv
                                    wash, 50% DME/Corn Sugar, Red Star yeast (don't know if it was lager
                                    or ale yeast, but I think ale yeast). 10 gallon wash. 15 gallon
                                    electric water heater still that directly fed a tube in a tube
                                    condensor. The product abv's were mid 40's. I collected the middle
                                    3rd (about 3 gallons) to redistill in the pot still.

                                    Oh poop. 18 years later as I write this, I see what I did.
                                    electric element must be covered, so I added about 12 gallons
                                    of "soft" water to the 3 gal collected to bring the wash up to 15
                                    gallons total volume - to fill up the water heater. 3 gal of 45%
                                    with 12 gal of 0% is about 9%abv. So the next run had darn near the
                                    same starting abv as the first wash. Explains why the next run's
                                    distillate abv was about the same, huh? (yea, I "huh'd" myself). A
                                    one plate pot still running batches of about the same starting wash,
                                    over and over again.

                                    alright - ya'all have a good laugh at my expense. but remember this
                                    was the days before the internet and Tony's website.
                                  • Harry
                                    ... the ... A ... wash, ... this ... We won t laugh. On the contrary, it s a classic example of the usefulness of keeping notes. :-) Slainte! regards Harry
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jun 1, 2006
                                      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" <markgofast@...> wrote:
                                      >
                                      > Oh poop. 18 years later as I write this, I see what I did.
                                      > electric element must be covered, so I added about 12 gallons
                                      > of "soft" water to the 3 gal collected to bring the wash up to 15
                                      > gallons total volume - to fill up the water heater. 3 gal of 45%
                                      > with 12 gal of 0% is about 9%abv. So the next run had darn near
                                      the
                                      > same starting abv as the first wash. Explains why the next run's
                                      > distillate abv was about the same, huh? (yea, I "huh'd" myself).
                                      A
                                      > one plate pot still running batches of about the same starting
                                      wash,
                                      > over and over again.
                                      >
                                      > alright - ya'all have a good laugh at my expense. but remember
                                      this
                                      > was the days before the internet and Tony's website.
                                      >



                                      We won't laugh. On the contrary, it's a classic example of the
                                      usefulness of keeping notes. :-)


                                      Slainte!
                                      regards Harry
                                    • Andrew Bugal
                                      Or maybe some plans for a smaller still (not necessarily an alembic) to process smaller volumes. Anyone help? Bwyze ... the ... A ... wash, ... this ... We
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Jun 2, 2006
                                        Or maybe some plans for a smaller still (not necessarily an alembic) to process smaller volumes.
                                         
                                        Anyone help?
                                         
                                        Bwyze

                                        Harry <gnikomson2000@...> wrote:
                                        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" wrote:
                                        >
                                        > Oh poop. 18 years later as I write this, I see what I did.
                                        > electric element must be covered, so I added about 12 gallons
                                        > of "soft" water to the 3 gal collected to bring the wash up to 15
                                        > gallons total volume - to fill up the water heater. 3 gal of 45%
                                        > with 12 gal of 0% is about 9%abv. So the next run had darn near
                                        the
                                        > same starting abv as the first wash. Explains why the next run's
                                        > distillate abv was about the same, huh? (yea, I "huh'd" myself).
                                        A
                                        > one plate pot still running batches of about the same starting
                                        wash,
                                        > over and over again.
                                        >
                                        > alright - ya'all have a good laugh at my expense. but remember
                                        this
                                        > was the days before the internet and Tony's website.
                                        >



                                        We won't laugh. On the contrary, it's a classic example of the
                                        usefulness of keeping notes. :-)


                                        Slainte!
                                        regards Harry






                                        ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~-->
                                        Get to your groups with one click. Know instantly when new email arrives
                                        http://us.click.yahoo.com/.7bhrC/MGxNAA/yQLSAA/e8NolB/TM
                                        --------------------------------------------------------------------~->

                                        Distillers list archives : http://archive.nnytech.net/
                                        FAQ and other information at http://homedistiller.org
                                        Yahoo! Groups Links

                                        <*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
                                        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Distillers/

                                        <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
                                        Distillers-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

                                        <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
                                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/






                                        On Yahoo!7
                                        Answers: Real people ask and answer questions on any topic.

                                      • Robert Hubble
                                        Hey Mark, NO laughing at your expense! We are ALL, to one extent or another, trying to wrap our heads around a mass of interacting information (see Harry s
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Jun 2, 2006
                                          Hey Mark,

                                          NO laughing at your expense! We are ALL, to one extent or another, trying to
                                          wrap our heads around a mass of interacting information (see Harry's
                                          previous post). And I couldn't agree more that the internet and Tony's site
                                          AND this list have improved my knowledge AND my stillin' by 3 orders of
                                          magnitude, at least... and I'm STILL just a potstiller.

                                          Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller




                                          >From: "Mark" <markgofast@...>
                                          >Reply-To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
                                          >To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
                                          >Subject: [Distillers] Re: Scrubbers
                                          >Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2006 02:55:27 -0000
                                          >
                                          >--- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Hubble" <zymurgybob@...>
                                          >wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > I run my potstill output through an
                                          > > alcoholometer, and I commonly start spirit run at 78%. > Zymurgy
                                          >Bob, a simple potstiller
                                          >
                                          >
                                          >I checked my old notebooks and found the records. It was an 8%abv
                                          >wash, 50% DME/Corn Sugar, Red Star yeast (don't know if it was lager
                                          >or ale yeast, but I think ale yeast). 10 gallon wash. 15 gallon
                                          >electric water heater still that directly fed a tube in a tube
                                          >condensor. The product abv's were mid 40's. I collected the middle
                                          >3rd (about 3 gallons) to redistill in the pot still.
                                          >
                                          >Oh poop. 18 years later as I write this, I see what I did.
                                          >electric element must be covered, so I added about 12 gallons
                                          >of "soft" water to the 3 gal collected to bring the wash up to 15
                                          >gallons total volume - to fill up the water heater. 3 gal of 45%
                                          >with 12 gal of 0% is about 9%abv. So the next run had darn near the
                                          >same starting abv as the first wash. Explains why the next run's
                                          >distillate abv was about the same, huh? (yea, I "huh'd" myself). A
                                          >one plate pot still running batches of about the same starting wash,
                                          >over and over again.
                                          >
                                          >alright - ya'all have a good laugh at my expense. but remember this
                                          >was the days before the internet and Tony's website.
                                          >
                                          >
                                          >

                                          _________________________________________________________________
                                          Is your PC infected? Get a FREE online computer virus scan from McAfee�
                                          Security. http://clinic.mcafee.com/clinic/ibuy/campaign.asp?cid=3963
                                        Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.