RE: [Distillers] calling all pot still users

  • Strounge
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 2, 2001
      > Hmmmmm . . . for my 2L runs, I discard the first 50ml, but for your 3L runs
      > you toss only 10ml. How did you come up with this number?
      > Your Brother in Magick,
      > Rev. David M. Cunningham

      Going by the Kiwi distillers guide:
      "Be ruthless about tossing the first 50 mL (off a 20L wash) that you collect, as this contains any methanol (causer of hangovers "

      I chuck a little more than necessary as my coils aren't quite straight and it tends to splut out the first 10ml until the flow settles down to a steady stream. I've found that the heads coming through after that are desirable as I usualy do Eau de vie so I'm not interested in getting a neutral spirit

      Strounge

      Powered by Outblaze
    • D. C.
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 2, 2001
        << Going by the Kiwi distillers guide: "Be ruthless about tossing the first
        50 mL (off a 20L wash) that you collect, as this contains any methanol
        (causer of hangovers " >>

        This is a good rule of thumb when working with a reflux/refractioning still,
        but when working with a pot still you tend to have more "nasties" come over.
        This number should be increased with a pot still.

        I admit that I know that I am throwing out a bit more than what I could try
        to save, but for my product, I'm willing to do that.

        This is interesting. I'm going to have to experiment a bit to see if my
        numbers are correct for my still. Thanks for sharing your experience.
        ---