RE: [Distillers] calling all pot still users

  • Strounge
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2001
      > << Question for the the pot still guys - whats the temperature/purity do you
      > finish collecting at ? >>

      I don't bother with temperature - I used to but after a couple of runs I discovered that relying on the thermometer lead to rather unpleasant off notes.

      My still is 6l, I usualy put in a 3l wash ( or 1.5l if it's a lumpy fruit wash ), I discard the first 10ml and then put a jug under the outlet, every 50ml I swap jugs and transfer the spirit to a bottle. I sit there with a shot glass, a spit bucket and a glass of water and every so often I collect a few drops from the outlet and taste. It's up to my tongue where I stop collecting.

      Bit tip - before mixing fractions try mixing a small quantity separately - some fo the later fractions have a bad habit of suddenly clouding when added to the earlier.

      My final ABV - using a set of volumetrics in the lab is 60% on the first run, for Eau de vie I don't often do a second run but sometimes I will add all fractions from previous runs to last was and collect that with a lot of care.

      If it's relevant my lyne arm is 1m long and has a slight upward incline,
      Strounge

      Powered by Outblaze
    • D. C.
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 1, 2001
        << My still is 6l, I usualy put in a 3l wash . . . I discard the first 10ml
        and then put a jug under the outlet, every 50ml I swap jugs and transfer the
        spirit to a bottle. >>

        Hmmmmm . . . for my 2L runs, I discard the first 50ml, but for your 3L runs
        you toss only 10ml. How did you come up with this number? I came up with
        mine from the temperature changes in my thermometer and from the knowledge
        that I had collected over the years. I'm wondering if I'm tossing out too
        much.

        Your Brother in Magick,
        Rev. David M. Cunningham
        email@...

        NOTICE: The information contained in this electronic mail transmission is
        intended by Rev. Cunningham for the use of the named individual or entity to
        which it is directed and may contain information that is privileged or
        otherwise confidential. If you have received this electronic mail
        transmission in error, please delete it from your system without copying or
        forwarding it, and notify the sender of the error by reply email or by
        telephone (collect), so that the sender's address records can be corrected.
      • Strounge
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 2, 2001
          > Hmmmmm . . . for my 2L runs, I discard the first 50ml, but for your 3L runs
          > you toss only 10ml. How did you come up with this number?
          > Your Brother in Magick,
          > Rev. David M. Cunningham

          Going by the Kiwi distillers guide:
          "Be ruthless about tossing the first 50 mL (off a 20L wash) that you collect, as this contains any methanol (causer of hangovers "

          I chuck a little more than necessary as my coils aren't quite straight and it tends to splut out the first 10ml until the flow settles down to a steady stream. I've found that the heads coming through after that are desirable as I usualy do Eau de vie so I'm not interested in getting a neutral spirit

          Strounge

          Powered by Outblaze
        • D. C.
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 2, 2001
            << Going by the Kiwi distillers guide: "Be ruthless about tossing the first
            50 mL (off a 20L wash) that you collect, as this contains any methanol
            (causer of hangovers " >>

            This is a good rule of thumb when working with a reflux/refractioning still,
            but when working with a pot still you tend to have more "nasties" come over.
            This number should be increased with a pot still.

            I admit that I know that I am throwing out a bit more than what I could try
            to save, but for my product, I'm willing to do that.

            This is interesting. I'm going to have to experiment a bit to see if my
            numbers are correct for my still. Thanks for sharing your experience.
            ---