FW: [Distillers] Glenn

  • Tony & Elle Ackland
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 30, 2001
      Jack writes ....

      I'm a "pot-stiller" - I use an enlarged ice water/wok type of still, so a
      thermometer cannot be used- I just go by volume. With a mash starting at
      about 5 to 10%abv, do the first run, and collect 1/3 of the total mash volume
      (I.e. Put 3 gallons of mash in the still, keep collecting until you get one
      gallon out of it). On the second run, I collect one fourth of the total I
      put in. I.e. distill 2 gallons (8 liters) of low wines, keep collecting until
      I get 1/2 gallon (2 liters). I also collect heads on the second run at a
      rate of 150ml to 200ml per each five gallons of (starting) mash volume.
      Making sure a thermometer is reading the same every time I do a run was too
      much of a hassle.