Glenn

  • Tony & Elle Ackland
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 30, 2001
      Glen,

      > i would like to try to make some
      > bourbon using my reflux still out of the corn... barley and rye
      ingredients
      > .....i havent got a pot still so i want to no if it can be done using my
      > reflux still?

      The best source for a step-by-step guide to this is
      http://www.magma.ca/~smiley/main.htm by Ian Smiley
      I haven't (sucessfully) done a grain one, but have done the same steps with
      a brown-sugar and mollasses wash to make a rum.

      What Ian writes is that the reflux still can be used for flavoured spirits,
      by "detuning" it - eg run it at a lower reflux ratio than normal. This
      will allow some of the cogeners to sneak through. Then you also take it to
      a later cut point than normal - eg instead of of stopping at say 80C for a
      neutral spirit (to which you've held it there by inc the reflux ratio),
      don't alter the reflux, and let the temperature drift up during the later
      stages of the run. The "trick" as always, is knowning when to "make the
      cuts" - eg at which stage during the heads do you begin collecting, and
      when during the tails do you stop ?

      See http:\\homedistiller.org\dtw.htm#double for some (limited) guidelines
      on this - eg finishing around 58-60% (eg 91C).

      Question for the the pot still guys - whats the temperature/purity do you
      finish collecting at ?

      The other thing needed to to keep the "feints" - eg the heads & tails, and
      adding them into the next wash. Its this accumulation over time (and its
      said that you need at least a couple of cycles of doing so) before you
      fully develop the full flavour you're after

      >...and how do i prepare the wash ingredients..i guess some
      > questions would be
      >
      > what yeast can i use ..ie turbo extra ?

      See http:\\homedistiller.org\wash-grain.htm for the steps, and suggestions
      of which yeast to use. You do not want to use turbos for this, as they're
      not made for flavour. You're after flavour this time, so use a good yeast,
      and just accept that the % will be lower, and that you'll be making less
      booze than from a sugar wash.

      > do i need to carbon treat the spirit when i have distilled it or will it
      > take out all of the flavour?

      Nope - don't carbon with activated carbon - it will strip out all that
      hard-earned flavour. If you want to use something to slightly take off a
      rough edge, use a home-made charcoal (eg made from maple) and don't leave
      it on it too long.

      > are the jack daniels soaker chips enough to age and colour the spirit?
      > will it taste anything like the real thing?? ...anybody that can steer me
      in
      > the right direction ..i would be greatly appreciated......

      I like em !

      I've also just tossed a litre of JD soaker bourbon in with a can of
      peaches, and some orange & lemon peel & cinamon, to try to make some
      Southern Comfort as per the description Wal recently posted - smells great
      already after just a couple of days.

      Tony
    • D. C.
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 31, 2001
        << Question for the the pot still guys - whats the temperature/purity do you
        finish collecting at ? >>

        My thermometers are all meat thermometers, so I don't really use them for
        the "temp," per se. Since they are all temperamental pieces of shit, I use
        them more to tell me when "action" is occurring.

        For example, my 4L still: I put in 2L of wash, I collect about 50ml of
        heads. I have found that with this still, the thermometer usually "acts up"
        about after the first 50ml. I them am able to collect about 300ml when the
        thermometer is holding steady. From there I notice that it depend on the
        wash, but my thermometer will jump around a bit. So I know that I can
        collect about 150ml to test at a later time.

        I collect 50ml at a time with that still, mostly because of the jumping
        around it does after I collect the 300ml section.

        I usually use a 10% wash and end up with 40% end product.

        << Its this accumulation over time (and its said that you need at least a
        couple of cycles of doing so) before you fully develop the full flavour
        you're after >>

        I have found this to be true in my workings.

        Your Brother in Magick,
        Rev. David M. Cunningham
        email@...

        NOTICE: The information contained in this electronic mail transmission is
        intended by Rev. Cunningham for the use of the named individual or entity to
        which it is directed and may contain information that is privileged or
        otherwise confidential. If you have received this electronic mail
        transmission in error, please delete it from your system without copying or
        forwarding it, and notify the sender of the error by reply email or by
        telephone (collect), so that the sender's address records can be corrected.
      • Strounge
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 1, 2001
          > << Question for the the pot still guys - whats the temperature/purity do you
          > finish collecting at ? >>

          I don't bother with temperature - I used to but after a couple of runs I discovered that relying on the thermometer lead to rather unpleasant off notes.

          My still is 6l, I usualy put in a 3l wash ( or 1.5l if it's a lumpy fruit wash ), I discard the first 10ml and then put a jug under the outlet, every 50ml I swap jugs and transfer the spirit to a bottle. I sit there with a shot glass, a spit bucket and a glass of water and every so often I collect a few drops from the outlet and taste. It's up to my tongue where I stop collecting.

          Bit tip - before mixing fractions try mixing a small quantity separately - some fo the later fractions have a bad habit of suddenly clouding when added to the earlier.

          My final ABV - using a set of volumetrics in the lab is 60% on the first run, for Eau de vie I don't often do a second run but sometimes I will add all fractions from previous runs to last was and collect that with a lot of care.

          If it's relevant my lyne arm is 1m long and has a slight upward incline,
          Strounge

          Powered by Outblaze
        • D. C.
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 1, 2001
            << My still is 6l, I usualy put in a 3l wash . . . I discard the first 10ml
            and then put a jug under the outlet, every 50ml I swap jugs and transfer the
            spirit to a bottle. >>

            Hmmmmm . . . for my 2L runs, I discard the first 50ml, but for your 3L runs
            you toss only 10ml. How did you come up with this number? I came up with
            mine from the temperature changes in my thermometer and from the knowledge
            that I had collected over the years. I'm wondering if I'm tossing out too
            much.

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 2, 2001
              > Hmmmmm . . . for my 2L runs, I discard the first 50ml, but for your 3L runs
              > you toss only 10ml. How did you come up with this number?
              > Your Brother in Magick,
              > Rev. David M. Cunningham

              Going by the Kiwi distillers guide:
              "Be ruthless about tossing the first 50 mL (off a 20L wash) that you collect, as this contains any methanol (causer of hangovers "

              I chuck a little more than necessary as my coils aren't quite straight and it tends to splut out the first 10ml until the flow settles down to a steady stream. I've found that the heads coming through after that are desirable as I usualy do Eau de vie so I'm not interested in getting a neutral spirit

              Strounge

              Powered by Outblaze
            • D. C.
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 2, 2001
                << Going by the Kiwi distillers guide: "Be ruthless about tossing the first
                50 mL (off a 20L wash) that you collect, as this contains any methanol
                (causer of hangovers " >>

                This is a good rule of thumb when working with a reflux/refractioning still,
                but when working with a pot still you tend to have more "nasties" come over.
                This number should be increased with a pot still.

                I admit that I know that I am throwing out a bit more than what I could try
                to save, but for my product, I'm willing to do that.

                This is interesting. I'm going to have to experiment a bit to see if my
                numbers are correct for my still. Thanks for sharing your experience.
                ---