Alcoholic strength - Europe

  • waljaco@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 30, 2001
      The U.S. and U.K. term 'proof spirit' is obsolete now except for old
      recipes.
      In European sites you sometimes see the use of the degree symbol after
      the strength value which confused me. Analysing the recipes I
      concluded that it was the same as %abv. It most probably is a
      carryover from 'degrees Baume' used in winemaking. For an old British
      recipe if you want the %abv value for a proof figure you must divide
      by 1.75. To bring %abv to 'proof spirit'(U.K. practice) multiply by
      1.75.

      The Polish company 'Polmos' has a 95%abv vodka called 'Spirytus
      Rektyfikowany' 'Rectified Spirit'. Use it as a comparison. Cheaper to
      make you own though.

      Liqueur caegories:
      Strong liqueurs - 33-45%abv & 31-55% sugar content
      Dessert liqueurs - 25-30%abv & 32-50% sugar content
      Creme liqueurs - 20-23%abv & 50-60% sugar content

      Wal