Re: [Distillers] Re: For Critique

  • Andrew Bugal
    Message 1 of 32 , May 2, 2006
      Damn it Harry - you break me up.

      You are right as rain when one considers Murphy's Law in it's entirery and not abbreviated - ie: "Murphy Law states that things will go wrong in the most dynamic way at the most inconvenient time".

      Discussions at this side of the Pearly Gates indeed. Remember the axiom of the wise man...:"complacency breeds widows". In other words, the Ford model of valved reflux stills on the internet warns that using a still is like boiling gasoline on the kitchen stove. Keep that in mind if you believe automation being used by a non-engineer will make your "hobby" easier.

      If it will make these people feel better, I am prepared to provide them with my details for their wills.

      Regards,

      Bwyze

      Harry <gnikomson2000@...> wrote:
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Trid wrote:

      > To take this one step further (if I haven't already gone to far
      awry), it seems
      > to me that this is an ideal setup for automation...at least for
      the sake of
      > collecting neutral spirits. With an automatic valve on the reflux
      line, have a
      > more precise temp sensor in the head drive the valve to maintain a
      desired
      > temp. If it can be dialed in to within 1 or 2 tents of a degree,
      then there
      > could be a nice clean line between clean neutral and the nasties.
      >
      > I humbley submit the above for dissection.
      > Trid

      Yep, sounds like you've got a reasonable VM type still. I'm against
      any thoughts of 'automation' on the grounds of safety. Having
      automation breeds complacency, the mindset tends to go towards "the
      machinery can regulate itself". Nobody likes watching a still like
      a hawk for 10 hours. This in turn leads to a false sense of
      security, and one day it's like..."I'll just quickly run down the
      shops & grab a carton of milk for my coffee". Murphy's law being
      what it is, you get back, the shed & still are demolished, like the
      post a bit further up. Why? Who knows? Mechanical things stop
      working. Water cuts off. Point is, if it wasn't automated in the
      first place, one wouldn't be tempted to leave it unattended even for
      2 minutes. See msg
      for what can happen even when you ARE being attentive. Other than
      that critique, yes, it's a fine still. BTW, what final percentage
      did you get @ 20°C?

      p.s.
      I often get replies to this safety warning like..."I've been doing
      this for xyz years & never had a problem". My answer to that
      is..."Of course you have. If you DID have a problem, it would only
      be the once, and we wouldn't be having this conversation this side
      of the pearly gates, now would we?"

      Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Trid
      Message 32 of 32 , May 11, 2006
        Random thought as I spied a bag of bulk cous-cous that's gone unused for nearly
        a year:
        Are the starches in pasta readily convertable with a little 6-row? Anybody
        ever try? I'm going to take a stab at it...meanwhile, if I'm making a horrible
        mistake here, please feel free to point, giggle, and sooner or later let me
        know :)

        Trid