Re: Whats happinin

  • goyeast@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 29, 2001
      I think it would be a shame if you "old timers" stopped posting
      here. Even though I don't post a lot, I come to this site often to
      get ideas. If it wasn't for Tony's site and the information here, I
      wouldn't have been able to build my still and successfully make
      whiskey (my latest batch is turning out wonderfully). As far as
      quotes from books go, I think that's fine, as long as it's valuable
      information related to distilling -- recipes, materials, chemistry,
      botany, engineering, whatever.

      --- In Distillers@y..., "Ian" <pilch@t...> wrote:
      > Tony, what is wrong with our group?
      > Over the past couple of months I have noticed a massive change and
      it is not for the good as I see it.
      > It appears that all the old ( as in original) members have either
      quit or are sitting on the side line and I must say I don't blame
      them.
      > Lately all we seem to be getting is quotes from this book or that
      book and it has nothing to do with getting the still to run perfectly
      or how to build one. Don't get me wrong, I have gained a couple of
      valuable bits of info out of all this but believe me, it was only a
      couple.
      > I have decided to join the rest of the old folk and sit on the side
      line for a while until things start to turn around again.
      > Hope this is only a temporary thing as I enjoyed this site
      immensely.
      > Anyone wishing to contact me can do at likkerman@t...
      > I will keep in contact with you Tony at your home site.
      > Pilch
    • Tony & Elle Ackland
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 29, 2001
        Pilch,

        > Tony, what is wrong with our group?
        > Over the past couple of months I have noticed a massive change and it is
        > not for the good as I see it.

        I think its just different - but still good. We've seen heaps of stills
        constructed, of different styles. Wal has done a huge job on the
        flavouring side of things. Sure - theres less of the fundamental questions
        being asked - like how should i pitch the yeast, or how do I build a reflux
        still, but I'd say thats because the newbies are checking the old posts &
        web sites. The use of the "new distillers" group for these questions has
        grown heaps, and is doing well.

        > It appears that all the old ( as in original) members have either quit
        > or are sitting on the side line and I must say I don't blame them.
        > Lately all we seem to be getting is quotes from this book or that book
        > and it has nothing to do with getting the still to run perfectly or how
        > to build one. Don't get me wrong, I have gained a couple of valuable
        > bits of info out of all this but believe me, it was only a couple.
        > I have decided to join the rest of the old folk and sit on the side line
        > for a while until things start to turn around again.

        You'll get out of this group only what you put into it ....

        * describe all your experiments - good and bad, for others to learn from.
        What have you done differently in the last month ? Any new flavours
        you've tried ? Different aging techniques ? Run the still at a different
        reflux ratio ? Tried powering it off turtle dung ?

        * dream a little - and see if bouncing the ideas off the group can help it
        happen. Suggest something "out of the box" and see what comments it starts
        off

        * answer the "simple" questions that come along, so that any question has a
        miriad of replies, from all perspectives, not just a sole one

        * ask questions - is there nothing left you want to learn ? You might have
        to ask a couple of times, phrased different ways, until it clicks off an
        answer by someone. Often, no one here knows the answer (eg we don't seem
        too strong on basic chemistry of the fusels ...), but thats life.

        If you start the ball rolling yourself, others will keep it happening.

        There is no "panel of experts" on this site, or hidden wisdom. No ones
        going to come forward with the single, correct version on "how to do it"
        and instruct from above. But theres a collective wisdom, of which we've
        each got a small corner that we may be good at, or have stumbled over
        during the self-teaching that takes place. But its only going to come out
        if everyone takes the effort to share their own part of it.

        I'm no expert on distilling. I'd only distill about 4-6 times a year.
        Doesn't say much for my experience level does it ? But I figure I've got
        an edge in helping explain the heat transfer / equilibrium / numbers side
        of things. So thats where I try to reply. The rest is just stuff that
        I've collected, and pasted into my site. But why am I often the only
        person bothering to answer the questions ? How many times have you not
        replied to something you could have helped shed some light on ? Ever seen
        a reply or explanation that you didn't agree with, but said nothing about ?

        So - if you want discussions on running a still, ask many questions on the
        subject.
        Describe what you do yourself, and why.
        Probe the theories / stories / explanations until you're happy with them.
        Check out whats happening in the "New Distillers" group too ...

        What did you want to know about running a still ? Graeme is asking in the
        "new distillers" about how to run a Nixon-Stone column.

        Any specifc questions about the construction ? Hal in the "new distillers"
        group has just asked all about sealing a lid to a pot - with the troubles
        he's been having - can you help him out ?

        Tony
      • G&N
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 29, 2001
          Tony ...or anybody else in this group i would like to try to make some
          bourbon using my reflux still out of the corn... barley and rye ingredients
          ....i havent got a pot still so i want to no if it can be done using my
          reflux still? ...and how do i prepare the wash ingredients..i guess some
          questions would be

          what yeast can i use ..ie turbo extra ?
          do i need to carbon treat the spirit when i have distilled it or will it
          take out all of the flavour?
          are the jack daniels soaker chips enough to age and colour the spirit?
          will it taste anything like the real thing?? ...anybody that can steer me in
          the right direction ..i would be greatly appreciated......

          My best bourbon that i recon i have had to drink is 1.75 litres of Wild
          Turkey mixed with 1 litre if still spirits kentucky Bourbon mix at
          40%.......mix the spirit with Pepsi Max out of the plastic bottles ..dont
          use aluminium cans because the metal leaves a bad taste in the drink if the
          cola has been in the can for a while ...Tastes just like mothers milk i
          recon...all i need to do is make a spirit like Wild Turkey::))

          Glenn

> [...]
          > replied to something you could have helped shed some light on ? Ever seen
          > a reply or explanation that you didn't agree with, but said nothing about
          ?

          > So - if you want discussions on running a still, ask many questions on the
          > subject.
          > Describe what you do yourself, and why.
          > Probe the theories / stories / explanations until you're happy with them.
          > Check out whats happening in the "New Distillers" group too ...
          >
          > What did you want to know about running a still ? Graeme is asking in the
          > "new distillers" about how to run a Nixon-Stone column.
          >
          > Any specifc questions about the construction ? Hal in the "new
          distillers"
          > group has just asked all about sealing a lid to a pot - with the troubles
          > he's been having - can you help him out ?

        • AuntyEthyl
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 30, 2001
            Glenn

            So far, with my lmited experience, I have found that 1
            teaspoon of plain american white oak
            (chips/shavings/dust) in 1 litre of 40% for about 2
            weeks adds, for me, just about the right amount of oak
            flavour. It colors the spirit a fair amount, but you
            would need to add some distillers caramel to give you
            that Bourbon color.

            I use the Still Spirits Top Shelf Classic American
            Bourbon, as this one seems to have the right smell and
            almost the right taste of a good bourbon. Used at the
            recommended ratios.

            From some of Wals and others' excellent posts, it
            appears that different flavors are extracted from the
            oak at different % of spirit. Also different flavours
            will come out of the oak depending on how much it has
            been toasted.

            My next experiments will be to try oak at diff % and
            test the results ;-)

            I'm keen to hear about yours, and others, Corn mash
            experiments.

            Enjoy
            AuntyEthyl

            http://personals.yahoo.com
          • goyeast@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 30, 2001
              Well, here's what I know from my experience:

              1) Cabin treatment will definitely remove flavors from your whiskey.
              I didn't use it for the whiskey I made about three months ago (a rye,
              corn and barley mix described in a few posts here). Instead, I
              divided my distillate into very small, labeled batches and only used
              the middle ones.

              2) I pulled the pot scrubbers out of my reflux still and ran at a
              temperature range that gave me an average of 80% alcohol. Before my
              next whiskey run, I'm getting the "corn whiskey" book that others
              have talked about at this site. That's definitely what I'll do next
              time. However, you could do like me and just use your own informed
              judgment and nose. FYI, I took a taste of my whiskey tonight,
              at "barrel strength" (63% alc. by volume), and it tasted good. The
              rye flavor was especially noticeable (hot damn!). However, I think
              that learning when to make the cuts from an experienced person would
              have made my hillbilly pop even better, so I'm going to buy that book
              soon. Maybe you should too.

              3) Use a brewers yeast, not a wine or turbo yeast, and aim for about
              8% alcohol yield, give or take a few percent. That's all you're
              going to get unless you're an experienced barley wine brewer. Even
              then, you'd be lucky to get 11 or 12 percent. The yeast has an
              important effect on the flavor of your brew. Different strains
              produce different byproducts, so don't try to use champagne yeast to
              ferment something like barley malt unless you're just experimenting.

              4) Best advice for repairing the wash: get a beer-making book. I've
              read of many different ways to prepare the wash, but here's what I
              did in a nutshell to produce an 8% extract: I softened up my polenta
              (corn) and rye berries in a huge pot of filtered water. I brought
              the gruel to a boil, turned off the heat, stirred it up, wrapped it
              in a sleeping bag and let it sit for an hour. I then let the mash
              cool. When the temp had dropped to about 125F, I mixed in the malted
              barley. If I remember correctly, you need at least 10 or 12 percent
              of malted barley to have enough enzymes to break down the starch
              chains in your unmalted ingredients. I think I used about 14 percent.
              Anyhow, I kept the mash at about 125F for about twenty minutes, and
              then I added boiled, filtered water until the temp. increased to
              about 150F. I kept it there for about an hour or so until the starch
              had converted according to the iodine test (in all of the beer books).
              At this point, some people "mash out" (i.e. shut off enzyme activity)
              by bringing the temp. up to nearly boiling, but I didn't do that.
              People also say that this kills bacteria, but I didn't have any
              problems.

              5) The next step is "sparging." Essentially, you're just removing
              the good stuff from the garbage you don't want in your fermenter.
              Some whiskey brewers keep the grains in their fermenters, but hell, I
              don't want any methanol or other nasties in my brew. I don't know of
              any benefit from keeping the grains in the fermentor, but it
              definitely seems cheaper, so maybe that's the reason why. I don't
              really know for sure. Anyhow, I just ladled off the liquid, and then
              I put small batches of grain in a cheesecloth covered fermentation
              bucket which I poured 170 degree water over. I waited until the
              water filtered through, which still took a long time because the corn
              and barley was a thick, glutinous meal. But I managed. Next time,
              however, I will use the method where you successively pour hot water
              into the mash pot, wait awhile until you get a sweet liquid, and then
              decant.

              6) Jack Daniels chips -- no experience here.

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • goyeast@yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 30, 2001
                Gad dumbit, that's CARBON TREATMENT, not CABIN TREATMENT. Yeah, that
                was my JFK Boston accent. Yeah, that's the ticket. Yeah, "cabin
                treatment."

              • D. C.
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 31, 2001
                  << I have found that 1 teaspoon of plain american white oak
                  (chips/shavings/dust) in 1 litre of 40% for about 2 weeks adds, for me, just
                  about the right amount of oak flavour. >>

                  Sometimes I like to throw in a handful of chips in about 2 weeks before I
                  distill. I then transfer the wash and the chips into the still and go to
                  town. I have found that the oak absorbs (or at least makes me believe) some
                  of the fusels that we try to cut. The chips also quickens the distillation
                  times. The oak also adds some interesting flavor when using it this way.

                  Your Brother in Magick,
                  Rev. David M. Cunningham
                  email@...

                  NOTICE: The information contained in this electronic mail transmission is
                  intended by Rev. Cunningham for the use of the named individual or entity to
                  which it is directed and may contain information that is privileged or
                  otherwise confidential. If you have received this electronic mail
                  transmission in error, please delete it from your system without copying or
                  forwarding it, and notify the sender of the error by reply email or by
                  telephone (collect), so that the sender's address records can be corrected.
                • D. C.
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 31, 2001
                    << Use a [beer] brewers yeast, not a wine or turbo yeast, and aim for about
                    8% alcohol yield, give or take a few percent. >>

                    I would also recommend experimenting with a combination of brewers yeast and
                    bakers yeast for an interesting "Old Style" flavor to your brew. I would
                    recommend starting out with 4-5 days with the bakers yeast and a pinch of
                    the brewer's yeast. Rack it off and pitch the brewers yeast in and sit on it
                    for about 2 weeks. You might need to add some sugar when you rack.
                    ---