Sardinia revisited

    Message 1 of 1 , May 1 11:25 PM
      See 'Sardinian Liqueurs'- msg 4069 & 'Back in Sardinia'- msg 12856 for
      background.

      I came across a recipe for a Wild Fennel Liqueur which sounds similar
      to the Sardinian proprietary 'Murgia Villacidro Bianco' which is
      aromatised with wild fennel tops.
      (http://www.laterradipuglia.it/italiano/Liquori/liquorefinocchio.htm)
      I have redacted the recipe for 1 litre of 40%abv.

      Wild Fennel Liqueur (Sardinia)
      (Liquore al finocchio selvatico della Murgia)

      150g wild fennel tops (weed)
      1/2 tsp. crushed fennel seed
      Peel of 1/2 lemon
      1 litre alcohol (40%abv)
      350g sugar

      Place alcohol and botanicals in a sealed glass jar and macerate for 2
      weeks. Strain. Add sugar. Bottle and age for 3 months.

      The Anise Liqueur in msg 12856 sounds similar to the proprietary
      'Murgia Villacidro Giallo'. Here is the recipe redacted for 1 litre of
      40%abv.

      Anise Liqueur (Sardinia)
      (Liquore di anice)

      20g aniseed
      4 coriander seeds
      10mm piece of cinnamon
      350g sugar

      Place alcohol and botanicals in a sealed glass jar and macerate for 2
      months. Strain. Add sugar. Colour yellow with saffron. Bottle and age.
      This liqueur is very similar to a typical anisette in regards to the
      aniseed quantiity.

      Note: To get a clear liqueur without any discoloration from the seeds
      as in the commercial variety, you will need to redistill, colour and
      add sugar.

      wal