Re: For Critique

  • abbababbaccc
    Message 1 of 32 , May 1, 2006

      > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Trid <triddlywinks@> wrote:
      > >

      > > To take this one step further (if I haven't already gone to far
      > awry), it seems
      > > to me that this is an ideal setup for automation...at least for
      > the sake of
      > > collecting neutral spirits. With an automatic valve on the
      reflux
      > line, have a
      > > more precise temp sensor in the head drive the valve to maintain
      > desired
      > > temp. If it can be dialed in to within 1 or 2 tents of a degree,
      > then there
      > > could be a nice clean line between clean neutral and the nasties.
      > >
      > > I humbley submit the above for dissection.
      > > Trid
      > >

      > Yep, sounds like you've got a reasonable VM type still. I'm
      against
      > any thoughts of 'automation' on the grounds of safety. Having
      > automation breeds complacency, the mindset tends to go towards "the
      > machinery can regulate itself". Nobody likes watching a still like
      > a hawk for 10 hours. This in turn leads to a false sense of
      > security, and one day it's like..."I'll just quickly run down the
      > shops & grab a carton of milk for my coffee". Murphy's law being
      > what it is, you get back, the shed & still are demolished, like the
      > post a bit further up. Why? Who knows? Mechanical things stop
      > working. Water cuts off. Point is, if it wasn't automated in the
      > first place, one wouldn't be tempted to leave it unattended even
      for
      > 2 minutes. See msg
      > for what can happen even when you ARE being attentive. Other than
      > that critique, yes, it's a fine still. BTW, what final percentage
      > did you get @ 20°C?
      >

      > Slainte!
      > regards Harry
      >
      > p.s.
      > I often get replies to this safety warning like..."I've been doing
      > this for xyz years & never had a problem". My answer to that
      > is..."Of course you have. If you DID have a problem, it would only
      > be the once, and we wouldn't be having this conversation this side
      > of the pearly gates, now would we?"

      Hullo Harry,

      I'll have to agree and disagree with you at the same time :) Your
      reasoning for safety is most excellent reason against complicated
      automated systems. However in my opinion by making automated systems
      simple and introducing self-shutdown feature we can introduce
      reasonable level of safety. A good example for this is a system
      utilizing electric heating and ambient air-cooling (and liquid based
      ARC for control). The thing that can go wrong is break up on electric
      power and this just means that the system will shut down.

      There is of course the possibility of structural breaks in still and
      leaks, but leaving the still completely unattended for the entire run
      is not what I had in mind. You should ALWAYS do the basic check-all-
      things after the still has warmed up and check it every now and then
      during the run if possible.

      BTW, I couldn't open the link for the still in question but I got the
      impression it is CM system?

      - Riku
    • Trid
      Message 32 of 32 , May 11, 2006
        Random thought as I spied a bag of bulk cous-cous that's gone unused for nearly
        a year:
        Are the starches in pasta readily convertable with a little 6-row? Anybody
        ever try? I'm going to take a stab at it...meanwhile, if I'm making a horrible
        mistake here, please feel free to point, giggle, and sooner or later let me
        know :)

        Trid