Re: [Distillers] Re: For Critique

  • Trid
    Message 1 of 32 , May 1, 2006
      --- Harry <gnikomson2000@...> wrote:

      > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Trid <triddlywinks@...> wrote:
      > >

      > > Bwuh? We *are* comparing the density to water.

      > ratio of the ethanol in a liquid that contains some ethanol (amount
      > as yet unknown) to the known SG or density of PURE ETHANOL, not
      > water. This resulting figure is the Alcohol By Volume not the water
      > by volume. The other liquids/substances in the sample could be many
      > things besides water.
      >
      > Alcoholmeters are calibrated to pure ethanol at 20°C. Hydrometers
      > are calibrated to pure water at 4°C. See the difference? Even
      > though technically they are both hydrometers. All that name means
      > is a closed tube that floats.

      I follow.
      The basis for my angle was that (at least as far as I understand) our resultant
      distillate is by a vast majority a mixture of ethanol and water.

      > instruments are calibrated to different pure substances at different
      > base temperatures.

      ...and this I understand...now :) I'm gonna blame thissun on lack of sleep.

      > achieve. But it can only be at best a broad approximation, not an
      > accurate measurement, for the reasons stated above.

      Check.

      > Buy an
      > alcoholmeter. They're not much more expensive than a fermentation
      > hydrometer.

      ...as Mr. Google also revealed :)

      > Then check your measurements using both. You'll see
      > big differences as the percentage of ethanol reduces.

      Very good point...I'm actually quite interested in checking that out. I'd like
      to see how far off I am and where my assumptions fall off.

      > And the
      > comparison scale isn't linear, either. That's why it's impossible
      > to produce a chart to swap between one and the other.

      Thanks again for the perspective.

      Trid
      -back to slee...ZZzzZzZZzzzzzz...
    • Trid
      Message 32 of 32 , May 11, 2006
        Random thought as I spied a bag of bulk cous-cous that's gone unused for nearly
        a year:
        Are the starches in pasta readily convertable with a little 6-row? Anybody
        ever try? I'm going to take a stab at it...meanwhile, if I'm making a horrible
        mistake here, please feel free to point, giggle, and sooner or later let me
        know :)

        Trid