Re: For Critique

    Message 1 of 32 , May 1, 2006
      BTW, what final percentage
      > > did you get @ 20°C?
      >
      > Mr. Hydrometer was reading about 0.805-0.810 (when I saw the 810 I
      knew the
      > temp alarm was about to hit) at ~23-25C.
      >
      > Since I'm thinking about it...I haven't encountered a
      gravity/percent
      > conversion chart for distillates akin to the ones for brewing.
      I've done the
      > math manually converting whatever SG to % using a span of 0.211
      (100% ethanol
      > having a SG of 0.789) and fudged a temp correction based on the
      brewing charts.
      > Is there one already laid out that I'm simply overlooked, or
      would it do to
      > cook one up...perhaps in excel or somesuch?
      >
      > Thanks again for the feedback,
      > Trid

      You need a alcoholmeter
      Can I draw your attention to this?

      <extract>
      A hydrometer measures the density of a liquid compared to water. For
      our purposes, this is for finding the potential alcohol that will be
      obtained through fermentation, as well as the actual fermented
      alcohol percentage through a simple calculation.

      A hydrometer will not work for testing the alcohol percentage in a
      finished product, however. Water is more dense than alcohol,
      therefore a hydrometer's use is restricted to finding density when
      compared to water, and not alcohol. To test alcohol percentage in a
      finished product, you need an alcoholmeter.
      </extract>

      Cited for academic usage only.
      Source: http://www.honeycreek.us/SpecficGravityTables.htm

      Lots of good stuff, tables & calcs there. Check it out.

    • Trid
      Message 32 of 32 , May 11, 2006
        Random thought as I spied a bag of bulk cous-cous that's gone unused for nearly
        a year:
        Are the starches in pasta readily convertable with a little 6-row? Anybody
        ever try? I'm going to take a stab at it...meanwhile, if I'm making a horrible
        mistake here, please feel free to point, giggle, and sooner or later let me
        know :)

        Trid