ARC today

  • hermit720022002
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 19, 2006
      Hi Riku,

      in your great book "How to build..." there is a description of a still
      with ARC head. Have you refined the construction since then? I'd like
      to upgrade my present EL head still at the state of the art level.
      Thanks in advance.

      Joe
    • abbababbaccc
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 19, 2006
        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "hermit720022002"
        <hermit720022002@...> wrote:

        > Hi Riku,
        >
        > in your great book "How to build..." there is a description of a
        still
        > with ARC head. Have you refined the construction since then? I'd like
        > to upgrade my present EL head still at the state of the art level.
        > Thanks in advance.
        >
        > Joe

        Hi Joe,

        Yes, the design has been refined quite a lot. The internal sensor pipe
        version has been through vigorous testing and few changes has been
        made. A new feature is automatic heads condensation and removal
        system. This will allow you to compress the heads from a typical 25
        liters sugar mash to 100ml and removes them automatically. In practice
        this means that the still is putting out pure 95.6% ethanol only. The
        design is modular and it can be easily changed to VM, CM, LM and
        potstill modes of operation. Also air cooled and water cooled versions
        exist.

        Detailed building instructions will be published in the new version of
        my book (currently edited by Mike Nixon).

        - Riku
      • Ian Kent
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 19, 2006
          Hi Riku,

          Will your book be available in both electronic and paper format?
          Also for non skilled people like myself could these units be made available
          assembled?

          Thanks for your great work.

          Ian...

          On 4/19/06, abbababbaccc <abbababbaccc@...> wrote:

          > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "hermit720022002"
          > <hermit720022002@...> wrote:
          >

          > Hi Joe,
          >
          > Yes, the design has been refined quite a lot. The internal sensor pipe
          > version has been through vigorous testing and few changes has been
          > made. A new feature is automatic heads condensation and removal
          > system. This will allow you to compress the heads from a typical 25
          > liters sugar mash to 100ml and removes them automatically. In practice
          > this means that the still is putting out pure 95.6% ethanol only. The
          > design is modular and it can be easily changed to VM, CM, LM and
          > potstill modes of operation. Also air cooled and water cooled versions
          > exist.
          >
          > Detailed building instructions will be published in the new version of
          > my book (currently edited by Mike Nixon).
          >
          > - Riku

        • abbababbaccc
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 19, 2006
            Ian,

            The book will probably be paper format only, although no decisions
            have been made yet.

            About building those units, I have one guy who has built few of those
            in europe and another guy in northern america who plans to do so in
            future. However, the fact is that these units are relatively easy to
            build. The watercooled basic ARC can be made with two solder seams
            (done simultaneously) + one for the boiler and the heads
            compressor/remover requires two more. Other than that it's just a
            matter of getting materials and cutting, bending, drilling etc.

            - Riku

            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ian Kent" <kegscruiser@...> wrote:

            > Hi Riku,
            >
            > Will your book be available in both electronic and paper format?
            > Also for non skilled people like myself could these units be made
            available
            > assembled?
            >
            > Thanks for your great work.
            >

            > Ian...
            >
            > On 4/19/06, abbababbaccc <abbababbaccc@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "hermit720022002"
            > > <hermit720022002@> wrote:
            > >

            > > Hi Joe,
            > >
            > > Yes, the design has been refined quite a lot. The internal sensor
            pipe
            > > version has been through vigorous testing and few changes has been
            > > made. A new feature is automatic heads condensation and removal
            > > system. This will allow you to compress the heads from a typical
            25
            > > liters sugar mash to 100ml and removes them automatically. In
            practice
            > > this means that the still is putting out pure 95.6% ethanol only.
            The
            > > design is modular and it can be easily changed to VM, CM, LM and
            > > potstill modes of operation. Also air cooled and water cooled
            versions
            > > exist.
            > >
            > > Detailed building instructions will be published in the new
            version of
            > > my book (currently edited by Mike Nixon).
            > >
            > > - Riku

          • Ian Kent
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 19, 2006
              I look forward to buying a copy of your book.

              I've tried building my own stuff in the past but I'm completely hopeless.
              Unfortunately I'm more of a thinker than a tinkerer.

              Ian...

              On 4/20/06, abbababbaccc <abbababbaccc@...> wrote:

              > Ian,
              >
              > The book will probably be paper format only, although no decisions
              > have been made yet.
              >
              > About building those units, I have one guy who has built few of those
              > in europe and another guy in northern america who plans to do so in
              > future. However, the fact is that these units are relatively easy to
              > build. The watercooled basic ARC can be made with two solder seams
              > (done simultaneously) + one for the boiler and the heads
              > compressor/remover requires two more. Other than that it's just a
              > matter of getting materials and cutting, bending, drilling etc.
              >
              > - Riku

            • morgtod
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 5, 2007
                Riku,
                Is this book available?
                Todd

                > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "hermit720022002"
                > <hermit720022002@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hi Riku,
                > >
                > > in your great book "How to build..." there is a description of a
                > still
                > > with ARC head. Have you refined the construction since then? I'd
                like
                > > to upgrade my present EL head still at the state of the art
                level.
                > > Thanks in advance.
                > >
                > > Joe
                > >

                > Hi Joe,
                >
                > Yes, the design has been refined quite a lot. The internal sensor
                pipe
                > version has been through vigorous testing and few changes has been
                > made. A new feature is automatic heads condensation and removal
                > system. This will allow you to compress the heads from a typical
                25
                > liters sugar mash to 100ml and removes them automatically. In
                practice
                > this means that the still is putting out pure 95.6% ethanol only.
                The
                > design is modular and it can be easily changed to VM, CM, LM and
                > potstill modes of operation. Also air cooled and water cooled
                versions
                > exist.
                >
                > Detailed building instructions will be published in the new
                version of
                > my book (currently edited by Mike Nixon).
                >
                > - Riku

              • abbababbaccc
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 5, 2007
                  Unfortunately not yet, Mike is doing final lay out and I have one
                  more chapter to write about electric VM setups. I hope it will be out
                  soon. Anyway, there are some VERY interesting new things for our
                  hobby when it comes out.

                  Cheers, Riku

                  --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "morgtod" <todmorg@...> wrote:

                  > Riku,
                  > Is this book available?
                  > Todd

                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "hermit720022002"
                  > > <hermit720022002@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Hi Riku,
                  > > >
                  > > > in your great book "How to build..." there is a description of
                  > > still
                  > > > with ARC head. Have you refined the construction since then?
                  I'd
                  > like
                  > > > to upgrade my present EL head still at the state of the art
                  > level.
                  > > > Thanks in advance.
                  > > >
                  > > > Joe
                  > > >

                  > > Hi Joe,
                  > >
                  > > Yes, the design has been refined quite a lot. The internal sensor
                  > pipe
                  > > version has been through vigorous testing and few changes has
                  been
                  > > made. A new feature is automatic heads condensation and removal
                  > > system. This will allow you to compress the heads from a typical
                  > 25
                  > > liters sugar mash to 100ml and removes them automatically. In
                  > practice
                  > > this means that the still is putting out pure 95.6% ethanol only.
                  > The
                  > > design is modular and it can be easily changed to VM, CM, LM and
                  > > potstill modes of operation. Also air cooled and water cooled
                  > versions
                  > > exist.
                  > >
                  > > Detailed building instructions will be published in the new
                  > version of
                  > > my book (currently edited by Mike Nixon).
                  > >
                  > > - Riku

                • morgtod
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 5, 2007
                    Could you give us sneek peek at the new arc developments?
                    Todd

                    > Unfortunately not yet, Mike is doing final lay out and I have one
                    > more chapter to write about electric VM setups. I hope it will be
                    out
                    > soon. Anyway, there are some VERY interesting new things for our
                    > hobby when it comes out.
                    >
                    > Cheers, Riku
                    >

                    > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "morgtod" <todmorg@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Riku,
                    > > Is this book available?
                    > > Todd
                    > >

                    > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "abbababbaccc"
                    <abbababbaccc@>
                    > > wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "hermit720022002"

                    > > > still
                    > I'd
                    > > like
                    > > level.

                    > > > Hi Joe,
                    > > >
                    > > > Yes, the design has been refined quite a lot. The internal
                    sensor
                    > > pipe
                    > > > version has been through vigorous testing and few changes has
                    > been
                    > > > made. A new feature is automatic heads condensation and
                    removal
                    > > > system. This will allow you to compress the heads from a
                    typical
                    > > 25
                    > > > liters sugar mash to 100ml and removes them automatically. In
                    > > practice
                    > > > this means that the still is putting out pure 95.6% ethanol
                    only.
                    > > The
                    > > > design is modular and it can be easily changed to VM, CM, LM
                    and
                    > > > potstill modes of operation. Also air cooled and water cooled
                    > > versions
                    > > > exist.
                    > > >
                    > > > Detailed building instructions will be published in the new
                    > > version of
                    > > > my book (currently edited by Mike Nixon).
                    > > >
                    > > > - Riku

                  • abbababbaccc
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 6, 2007
                      Here's the TOC from last year's version:

                      After that I've written one more appendix about electric versions of
                      ARC. I also have another appendix in works about VM-E-ARC, a still I
                      consider to be the ultimate toy as far as quality of product and ease
                      of operation are concerned. I also have a new condeser design at works
                      that I hope to include to book.