Re: [Distillers] 5 Litre pot still

  • _{*L*}_
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 5 7:28 AM
      Julia-Jan04, I would think that the 100mL corresponds to the total amount of the 25L batch. In this case dividing it in batches makes only 20mL per each five-liter run. Also, I don't think you would end up with methanol in general using plain sugar -- fore-shots are just foul smelling but not deadly.

      julia99roberts <jan04@...> wrote: I am a newbie, so probably asking a very basic question. I have made up 25 litres of wash (water,sugar,yeast). When distilling with a 5 litre pot still, I have been told to remove the first 100ml (methanol) and disgard. Do I continue to do this for each 5 litres batch of the 25 litre wash I distill? I read somewhere that the first 100ml
      methanol removed can be added to the next 5 litre batch and distilled - and repeated for each batch. Therefore only disgarding the last 100ml of the final batch, instead of a total of 500ml for 5 batches of 5
      litres (25 litres). Help would be most appreciated

      _{*L*}_
      Pluralitas non est ponenda sine necessitate
      http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bokakob

    • George Piccin
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 5 5:20 PM
        re 5 L pot still

        Don't know what your apparatus looks like or how easily it could be adapted but I was looking at pictures and description of the "Continuous Still" that are on the site. Seems like a great way do to use a small capacity still to distil large amounts of liquid.