Diluting Spirits before ageing in Oak Barrel

  • californiashiner
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 2, 2006
      OK, Have my new two gallon charred oak barrel and 94%ABV ready to go.
      Searched the previous post but couldn't find the ABV rate for a new
      barrel. Have previously aged 50% on toasted oak planks on half gallon
      jar for 6 months and it turned out great. Thanks for the help..
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 2, 2006
        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "californiashiner"
        <califshiner@...> wrote:

        > OK, Have my new two gallon charred oak barrel and 94%ABV ready to
        go.
        > Searched the previous post but couldn't find the ABV rate for a
        new
        > barrel. Have previously aged 50% on toasted oak planks on half
        gallon
        > jar for 6 months and it turned out great. Thanks for the help..

        62.5% ABV is the norm in commercial production. The higher the
        percentage, the more tannins & other bitter substances your solvent
        will pull from the wood. Lower is better for home production in
        small casks.