Re: Calm down children!

    Message 1 of 29 , Apr 2, 2006
      If you place thermometers at say 250mm intervals up your column you
      will see what is going on in practice.
      Depending on the nature of your packing (no information provided) your
      75mm might be causing channeling. You could build a glass column and
      see what is happening and report on your practical experiments.
      wal

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rocky_creek1" <rocky_creek@...> wrote:

      > One, I haven't made any comments about burst fire controlers because
      > in the U.S. we have no need for such things, also we spell compleat as
      > complete.
      >
      > Two, you state in the book that a good amatuer collunm can be made at
      > 1 meter and 50mm diameter, and 90% can be obtained. Even at 1.5 meters
      > and 75mm you can't get 90% from an insulated column with no induced
      > reflux.I have yet to see one forumn member who has accomplished this.
      > Where is the meat?
      >
      > Rocky_creek
      >

      > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Nixon" <mike@> wrote:
      > >
      > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rocky_creek1" <rocky_creek@>
      > > wrote:
      > >
      > > What part of "no induced internal reflux" don't you understand.
      > > The fractionating still described by Mike Nixon in the complete
      > distiller is
      > > complete fiction.
      > > No one discusses this because it does not work.
      > >
      > > Brendan Keith
      > > =======================================
      > > Dear Brendan,
      > >
      > > Please stop making such a noise at the back of the class, and pay
      > attention!
      > >
      > > For a start, the book which I and Mike McCaw wrote is not "The
      Complete
      > > Distiller" but "The Compleat Distiller". You would know that if you
      > had
      > > bought a copy and learned the facts about distillation.
      > >
      > > Secondly, nothing in that book is anything close to fiction, but is
      > > indisputable hard fact proved by extensive research and established
      > practice
      > > in the distilling profession. This may challenge your cosy view
      of the
      > > cosmos, for which I'm sorry, but you will no doubt learn the truth
      > when you
      > > ascend to heaven and finally learn what you missed throughout your
      > life.
      > > Isn't it odd that many universities and colleges and now use Chapter
      > 8 of
      > > that book as a text? My goodness, they must be idiots!
      > >
      > > It seems that nobody can take a rest from reading the posts sent to
      > > Distillers without learning that such rubbish is being posted. It
      > used to be
      > > such a good forum (sorry Harry, but it needs to be said). Please
      > make sure
      > > you have your facts right before publicly displaying your ignorance.
      > How
      > > very strange it is that so many commercial distilleries now use
      > equipment
      > > designed and made by me and my colleagues. Is it perhaps because
      > they have
      > > found that this equipment is the most effective in producing
      > results? Of
      > > course, uneducated amateurs like yourself would not be able to build
      > such
      > > equipment, even if led by the nose. Please don't bother anyone with
      > > protestations that this is a "flame". You brought it on your own
      > head by
      > > your ill-conceived post.
      > >
      > > Incidentally, your comments about burst fire controllers are also
      > wide of
      > > the mark. Add electronics to your list of things to study.
      > >
      > > Mike Nixon - too old and tired now to suffer fools gladly.
      > >
      > > PS. Wal (who is far from being a fool, and for whom I have the
      > greatest
      > > admiration!):
      > > the fractionating still column described in The Compleat Distiller
      > is 50mm
      > > diameter, not length. The PDA-1 column is 305mm long. Initial
      > testing with
      > > the head we designed gave 86% solid with just 100mm column length,
      > but we
      > > wanted to be sure that users got 95-96% - which they do with
      monotonous
      > > regularity.

    • Sven Pfitt
      Message 2 of 29 , Apr 3, 2006
        Use the 555 link that others posted, and build a timer with a 1
        second time interval.

        Use a comparitor with the '-' input feed by a 10K potentiometer wiper
        and a 4.7K resistor on each end (to VCC and GND).

        Take the output of the 555 timer capacitor terminal and connect it to
        the '+' terminal of the comparitor.

        Take the output of the comparitor and use it to drive the SSR-240D25
        (+ terminal to VCC, -terminal to the comparitor output). I recommend
        running the 555 and comparitor circuits on about 12V.

        You now have a burst fire controller with zero cross (minimal noise
        generation). The comparitor will turn on when the setting sees the
        ramp capacitor voltage above the potentiometer setting. The cap
        voltage varies from 1/3 to 2/3VCC. The two resistors allow you to use
        more of the ajustment range that if you simply attached the pot to
        VCC and GND without them.

        MOUSER has them (SSR-240D25) at a slightly lower price.

        Sven
        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Hubble" <zymurgybob@...>
        wrote:

        > Harry,
        >
        > Thank you and all the others for answering my 50-year-old question
        about the
        > bi-metal infinite switch. Although I currently use propane to power
        > potstill, I am looking at building a continuous-run reflux still
        after the
        > one on Tony's site, so I MAY be in the market for building a good
        power
        > controller.
        >
        > I have looked at the 555 or counter controlled SSR as mental
        exercises
        > (while making long drives) for a long time, but I think push is
        coming to
        > shove pretty soon now. I'm a long-time user of the Howard W. Sams
        > literature, from the Sam's Fotofact "How to repair your electronic
        whatever"
        > of the 1950's to the later cookbooks they do so well. I even
        worked with a
        > woman who wrote one of the Sam's how to UNIX books. After reading
        this, I
        > went straight to the cookbook section of my electronics library,
        and the 555
        > cookbook was gone, loaned out, I guess, or maybe in a project box
        in the
        > garage.
        >
        > Anyway, all this drove me to make a parts search for the solid-
        state-relay,
        > and Digikey is my search-engine of choice. The Potter-Brumfield
        SSR-240D25,
        > at $38.62 US, is opto-coupled, zero-crossing, 280V and 25A relay.
        For those
        > who do not know, ordering almost anything through Digikey
        (www.digikey.com)
        > is pretty easy.
        >
        > Thanks for the answer, and thanks for getting me thinking about the
        > vodka-fuel still again.
        >
        > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

        ...snip...
      • Robert Thomas
        Message 3 of 29 , Apr 3, 2006
          Wow!
          any chance of a diagram?
          Now, if you can just build the rest of the automatic "cat sh*ts=cat
          burns" device, I can stop hunting the net for solutions to my
          inhospitable garden problem (bigG).

          Cheers
          Rob.
          p.s. Yes, Harry I'm still here, despite what I said.

          Cheers,
          Rob.

          http://mail.yahoo.com