Absinthe

  • David Eastham
    Message 1 of 41 , Apr 1, 2006
      Just posted this on another forum, so thought I'd share it

      Based on Erowid method:-
      Wormwood 30g
      hyssop 9g
      Melissa 6g
      Fennel seed 25g
      Calamus 2g
      Sage 2g
      Aniseed 30g
      Star anise 11g
      Coriander seed crushed 3.2g
      Whole nutmegs crushed 2 off
      Add all to jar, dampen with50ml water, and add 950ml 90-95% clean
      spirit. Shake daily for 1 week. After 1 week add 550ml water and
      leave 1 more day. Filter through muslim into a suitable distillation
      pot.
      I then distil the whole lot with glassware, but pot still will do. I
      get stuff coming over about 35 C then it stops. Then at 80 Celsius I
      get take off:-
      200ml 80c
      300ml 81c
      200ml 82c
      100ml 84c
      80ml 90c
      then I stop as the distillate starts to turn yellow. I suppose its
      down to tast what you collect here, but if you stop now you get no
      bitterness.
      Put all distillate collected into jar, add
      lemon peel 1g
      mint 3.9g
      melissa 1.1g
      licourice root 4.2g chopped.
      leave further 2 days then filter. Dilute to 70% and you get a non
      bitter absinthe that louches etc... First batch I did I added 3g
      wormwood at the latter stage but this was too bitter for me. You get
      a yellowy green product, but its green apparently if you use fresh
      material. All the above were dried.
      Dave E
    • Jack o' the Green
      Message 41 of 41 , Dec 12, 2007

        The louche is good, but I usually cheat by putting in straight ice cubes and letting them melt a bit before

        drinking. I’m never patient enough to chill water first ;)