RE: [Distillers] Methanol data please.

  • Mark Wabster
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 31, 2006
      Hi Leigh,

      I have been down this path a long time ago with some
      sceptical friends, you know the response "Eww can't
      you go blind or die from home made booze?" I say sure,
      if it is made through a car radiator still, or has all
      manner of crap added, a la Prohibition days.

      I found the solution in research from NZ conducted by,
      I think, their Customs people, or on their behalf,
      prior to legalisation of home distilling in the 90's.

      It is obvious that a Government isn't going to allow a
      process to become legal, when that process might be
      dangerous for those who do things legally.

      Sadly I can't remember where I found the information
      but maybe others are more up to date.

      My other contention is that there is almost no
      methanol in a sugar based brew anyway, but again I
      can't find irrefutable documents to prove my case.

      If there is no methanol prior to distillation there
      can hardly be any afterwards. It simply can't be made
      in the distillation process, as distillation is a
      purification process.

      Sadly sometimes people just want to believe the crap
      they hear/read/see on the Net that is patently absurd.
      It helps justify something they innately believe to be
      a truth, for whatever reason.

      I second the recommendation of another poster -
      present her with a nice bottle of something she is
      fond of with maybe a printout of an article you might
      find supporting the truth - our view too :-)

      The only damage home made booze will do is the same as
      store bought if you drink too much too often. My liver
      function tests consistently verify this :-)

      Cheerz Wabster

      On yahoo!7
      Avatars: Dress up like your "Dancing with the Stars" favourites!
      http://au.avatars.yahoo.com