RE: [Distillers] Methanol data please.

  • Andrew Bugal
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 31, 2006
      I think what Justin is saying here is that you give her a smack up the back of the head and tell her not to be stupid (then, be prepared to be celibate for awhile). Oh well, you have your hobby to help you along (this our solution in Australia and if the ladies complain up front, the complaints diminish somewhat when you present them with an OP bottle of Baileys or Erin cream (preferably chilled)

      Believe me, you can do no wrong after that.

      Regards,

      Bwyze

      Justin Wong <lilwong@...> wrote:
      Hi Leigh,

      What you would need to do is have your product analyzed for methanol. Then
      cross reference that with the clinical range of methanol toxicity. I found
      the approximate mortality rate here
      http://www.emedicine.com/NEURO/topic217.htm
      You should be able to find the approximate range for optic nerve poisoning.
      That way you can prove that your product does not contain enough methanol to
      cause that kind of damage.

      _____

      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 31, 2006
        Hi Leigh,

        I have been down this path a long time ago with some
        sceptical friends, you know the response "Eww can't
        you go blind or die from home made booze?" I say sure,
        if it is made through a car radiator still, or has all
        manner of crap added, a la Prohibition days.

        I found the solution in research from NZ conducted by,
        I think, their Customs people, or on their behalf,
        prior to legalisation of home distilling in the 90's.

        It is obvious that a Government isn't going to allow a
        process to become legal, when that process might be
        dangerous for those who do things legally.

        Sadly I can't remember where I found the information
        but maybe others are more up to date.

        My other contention is that there is almost no
        methanol in a sugar based brew anyway, but again I
        can't find irrefutable documents to prove my case.

        If there is no methanol prior to distillation there
        can hardly be any afterwards. It simply can't be made
        in the distillation process, as distillation is a
        purification process.

        Sadly sometimes people just want to believe the crap
        they hear/read/see on the Net that is patently absurd.
        It helps justify something they innately believe to be
        a truth, for whatever reason.

        I second the recommendation of another poster -
        present her with a nice bottle of something she is
        fond of with maybe a printout of an article you might
        find supporting the truth - our view too :-)

        The only damage home made booze will do is the same as
        store bought if you drink too much too often. My liver
        function tests consistently verify this :-)

        Cheerz Wabster

        On yahoo!7
        Avatars: Dress up like your "Dancing with the Stars" favourites!
        http://au.avatars.yahoo.com