past post by mr Nixon

  • yukon656
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 30, 2006
      question; what would be the result of adding a small low flow reflux
      coil (3/16"x4") inside at the top of a thumper with an uncontrolled
      refluxing vapor out tube that is packed as described. this is only a
      theoretical question dont mean to cause a scene. just thinking out
      loud any ideas welcome.

      S! Yukon

      "This essential difference between a bubble cap in a column and a
      thumper on its own appears to hold the key to the puzzle about how a
      thumper actually works. The thumper alone is useless, as proved
      before, but a thumper with a supply of reflux from further on is a
      completely different matter. Separation depends on vapour condensing
      and then being reboiled to give a vapour with a higher concentration
      of ethanol. This cannot occur if all the condensed vapour comes from
      that which enters the thumper, but can if the condensed vapour is
      fed from vapour that has condensed after leaving it! This can be
      achieved if the tube leaving the thumper is long enough so that
      vapour leaving the thumper condenses on it walls and is allowed to
      trickle back into the thumper to be reboiled. The key lies in that
      tube! Of course, there will be some who point out that condensation
      occurs on the side walls of the thumper, as reported by Baker, but I
      would humbly submit that this is the first time that this condensate
      has been considered to be anything but 'interesting'.

      Of course, to make it work fully like a bubble cap, provision has to
      be made to return excess depleted liquid to the boiler or the whole
      thing will gradually grow less and less efficient.

      So, I'm still left wondering if I have to eat that Humble Pie. On
      the one hand I don't, as it's been proved that a thumper on its own
      cannot work, and that people who have used them have succeeded more
      by luck than design. If the outlet tubes had been connected so that
      they came out the side so that no reflux could trickle back, then
      they would have noticed no improvement. On the other hand I do, as
      it's been shown how to make a thumper work … stick the equivalent of
      a rising lyne arm on it! As I don't like humble pie, may I suggest
      a further improvement, and that is sticking a scrubber in that
      rising outlet tube or lyne arm. This will increase the efficiency of
      the condensation/reboiling cycle in that tube, and should result in
      even higher percentage product."