Re: I got a new 3.25" column

  • rodmacd2000
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 26, 2006
      Dr. John Stone used to say that the "rule of thumb" is the length of a
      packed column should be about 15 times the diameter. In your case that
      would be about 48". 60" would be even better if you can manage.

      Input power of 3000w is about right for this column if your goal is
      high quality product.

      The required length of condenser is a function of many things but 30
      cm (12") seems a little short. 3000 watts is going to drive a hell of
      a lot of vapout to your condenser. Suggest maybe about 16" - 20" for
      condenser length.

      Also, are you planning to use this same still as a stripper? If so you
      might want to perform stripping at up to 10,000 watts if your
      equipment and power supply can manage it and in this case you
      definitely will want a longer condenser.

      My opinions FWIW