Re: [Distillers] Re: Newbie Question About Carbon

  • Gregory Bloom
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 26, 2006
      As I mentioned before, I think the ion-exchange resin beads in the Brita may dissolve somewhat in ethanol and congeners. Also, there is some concern about styrene monomer leaching from polystyrene, especially in the presence of ethanol. Although you probably can't taste it, and although polystyrene is often used as a drug carrier in pharmaceuticals, you might nevertheless prefer making a product that doesn't have any. The other problem, of course, is that dissolved resin will adsorb onto the activated carbon in the filter, shortening its effective life quite a bit.

      Try drying a sample on a clean glass surface before and after running through the Brita. I bet you'll be surprised at the increase in residual gunk after running through the Brita.

      The other thing about using carbon with a potstill is that it lowers the flavor across the board, stripping out the tasty stuff along with the harsh stuff. So using carbon becomes a balancing act. It seems to me that a little carbon will preferentially adsorb the nastiest components, improving the flavor overall quite a bit, but it is very easy to go overboard and end up with a vaguely grainy vodka. As this is a sort of "cooking" hobby , I think it is important to taste each step. Cooking without tasting is like painting without seeing. Well, with the possible exception of bicarb. I once forgot I had a bicarb rest going on and took a swig.... :-*

      Cary Rhodes <rhodeseng@...> wrote:

      I run all of my product thru a Brita pitcher type filter after I cut
      it to 90 proof.

      Run all the tap water that I cut with thru the same filter.

      Crystal clear

      cary r