Re: [Distillers] Re: molasses and steam distillation

  • george papanikolaou
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 3, 2006
      Harry
      Thank you for the excellent library, I will try again
      greetings from Greece

      Harry <gnikomson2000@...> wrote:
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, george papanikolaou
      <qwine2000@...> wrote:

      > Rob
      > yes i admit that i am disappointed although when i add 10 per
      cent carbon in the distillate it becomes bearable
      > george

      Hi George,

      Beet molasses can be used as a feedstock, but IMHO only if you are
      making NEUTRAL ethanol for later flavouring/mascerating. Go to the
      library,
      Click [Books]
      Get the first book on the list, 'Distillation & Denaturing, 1907'
      Read chapters IX and X
      All you ever wanted to know about beets and beet molasses.

      When you're through with that, have a look at 'Molasses as a
      Feedstock', by J.E.Murtagh, same list, further down. It will give
      you insight as to how molasses should be prepared before
      fermentation.

      I recommend these books as primers for anyone interested in beverage
      distilling as a hobby. There's much to be learned from how it was
      done commercially in bygone eras.

      Management team Food and drink Culture club Organizational culture Culture