Re: [Distillers] Re: A good week stillin' and bottlin'

  • Dennis Crawford
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 2, 2006

      >A long time ago, I made some raspberry liqueur for my wife, who is a big
      >raspberry fan. Right after I made it, we had a taste after dinner, and both
      >loved it. A week or 2 later, I made up a picnic lunch for us, and threw in
      >the bottle of raspberry liqueur. When I went to pour it, I discovered that
      >it was completely gelled, and we had to stir it with a knife and eat the
      >lumps. Good, though. It tirns out that raspberries are high in pectin, and
      >pectin is used to test for EtOH, or vice versa. A positive test it the the
      >presence of gel.

      Store in a wide-mouth jar, serve on toast for breakfast!!!

      :-))

      DC
    • David Eastham
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 2, 2006
        OK I dont mind experimenting but I'd rather have a heads up start.

        Recipe for Limoncello anybody?

        I've got a 25 litre mash going in my shed. Its minus 5 at the moment
        in there. I have a small band heater, and the fermenter is wrapped in
        a blanket. The mash has dropped from 22 Celsius to 18, so I've just
        plugged an oil filled radiator in. Gotta look after your baby. Be a
        lot easier if wife'd let me ferment in the house!!

        Dave E
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 2, 2006
          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "David Eastham" <deastham2000@...>
          wrote:

          > OK I dont mind experimenting but I'd rather have a heads up start.
          >
          > Recipe for Limoncello anybody?

          Over there! <<<<<<<<< (left of screen at group webpage) [Links] >>
          [Recipes]. Hundreds of other also. Wal & others put in a lot of work
          to provide these clickable links.

        • Brendan Keith
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 3, 2006
            As much lemon peel as you can peel off.

            Some strong neutral spirit to soak it in.

            Enough sugar to sweeten it.

            I found that it was quite cloudy and had never seen the commercial stuff so
            I didn't know if that was correct.
            I ended up boiling it on the stove, with an ice filled wok on top, and it
            came out crystal clear.

            I later saw the real thing and it was cloudy. Live and learn.

            --
            Brendan Keith
            bkeith@...

            OK I dont mind experimenting but I'd rather have a heads up start.

            Recipe for Limoncello anybody?
          • Lindsay Williams
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 3, 2006
              When peeling, don't go into the white pith as this will give it a
              bitter taste.

              Cheers,
              Lindsay.