RE: [Distillers] Re: A good week stillin' and bottlin'

  • Robert Hubble
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 2, 2006
      Thanks for responding, Mark

      Like you, I also enjoy messin' with adding flavors, either through simple
      maceration, maceration and distillation, or oak-and-oxygen aging.

      A long time ago, I made some raspberry liqueur for my wife, who is a big
      raspberry fan. Right after I made it, we had a taste after dinner, and both
      loved it. A week or 2 later, I made up a picnic lunch for us, and threw in
      the bottle of raspberry liqueur. When I went to pour it, I discovered that
      it was completely gelled, and we had to stir it with a knife and eat the
      lumps. Good, though. It tirns out that raspberries are high in pectin, and
      pectin is used to test for EtOH, or vice versa. A positive test it the the
      presence of gel.

      Oh, I NEVER had any intention of stopping at limoncello. I also have some
      alcohol on cocoa powder, which extracts a lovely deep dark redbrown
      chocolate chocolate flavor, that I use to make creme de cacao. As I
      mentioned in another post, the ginger-lemongrass liqueur is sounding good to
      me.

      Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

      >From: "Mark Nelson" <mnelson@...>
      >To: <Distillers@yahoogroups.com>
      >Subject: RE: [Distillers] Re: A good week stillin' and bottlin'
      >Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 09:42:48 -0800
      >
      >While most others in this group focus on the fermentation and distillation
      >processes, my favorite part of our hobby is the blending and finishing of
      >the product. I have rows and rows of jars lined up with various proofs and
      >flavorings. I travel through-out the Caribbean several times a year and
      >have
      >the good fortune to return with the best quality nutmeg, various citrus,
      >real cinnamon, vanilla beans etc. After the maceration process, the fun
      >begins. Take some vodka/rum (homemade of course) then add a teaspoon of
      >this
      >and that. Everyone has different preferences in tastes so experiment. My
      >wife loves raspberry vodka, I like rum with white oak for smoothness, a
      >very
      >tiny amount of red oak for a bite and some vanilla that sits in the
      >background to compliment the sweetness. Yum. Limoncello is great, but why
      >stop there?

    • Dennis Crawford
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 2, 2006

        >A long time ago, I made some raspberry liqueur for my wife, who is a big
        >raspberry fan. Right after I made it, we had a taste after dinner, and both
        >loved it. A week or 2 later, I made up a picnic lunch for us, and threw in
        >the bottle of raspberry liqueur. When I went to pour it, I discovered that
        >it was completely gelled, and we had to stir it with a knife and eat the
        >lumps. Good, though. It tirns out that raspberries are high in pectin, and
        >pectin is used to test for EtOH, or vice versa. A positive test it the the
        >presence of gel.

        Store in a wide-mouth jar, serve on toast for breakfast!!!

        :-))

        DC
      • David Eastham
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 2, 2006
          OK I dont mind experimenting but I'd rather have a heads up start.

          Recipe for Limoncello anybody?

          I've got a 25 litre mash going in my shed. Its minus 5 at the moment
          in there. I have a small band heater, and the fermenter is wrapped in
          a blanket. The mash has dropped from 22 Celsius to 18, so I've just
          plugged an oil filled radiator in. Gotta look after your baby. Be a
          lot easier if wife'd let me ferment in the house!!

          Dave E
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 2, 2006
            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "David Eastham" <deastham2000@...>
            wrote:

            > OK I dont mind experimenting but I'd rather have a heads up start.
            >
            > Recipe for Limoncello anybody?

            Over there! <<<<<<<<< (left of screen at group webpage) [Links] >>
            [Recipes]. Hundreds of other also. Wal & others put in a lot of work
            to provide these clickable links.

          • Brendan Keith
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 3, 2006
              As much lemon peel as you can peel off.

              Some strong neutral spirit to soak it in.

              Enough sugar to sweeten it.

              I found that it was quite cloudy and had never seen the commercial stuff so
              I didn't know if that was correct.
              I ended up boiling it on the stove, with an ice filled wok on top, and it
              came out crystal clear.

              I later saw the real thing and it was cloudy. Live and learn.

              --
              Brendan Keith
              bkeith@...

              OK I dont mind experimenting but I'd rather have a heads up start.

              Recipe for Limoncello anybody?
            • Lindsay Williams
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 3, 2006
                When peeling, don't go into the white pith as this will give it a
                bitter taste.

                Cheers,
                Lindsay.